2012 Refurbished MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by srxtr, Apr 26, 2012.

1. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this question was already answered before, and I'm sure some of you are curious as well.

How soon after the new releases do the refurbished start popping up? I'd love me a 15" but wouldn't mind waiting up to a few weeks after release if I can get it cheaper as refurbished.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

few months

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It varies, and depends on when they get used ones back to refurbish.

4. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Factory refurbished units sold by Apple have never been sold as new and are not "used."

They are units that failed one or more QA tests during final assembly.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is completely false. You may want do some reading to get the facts, so you'll stop posting misinformation.
    Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    This is also false. There is no way Apple would sell a product that failed QA inspection.
    Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are only available from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold by any 3rd party or local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

6. srxtr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome post. Very informative.

7. mustang_dvs, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Then it's changed since I worked for the Mothership. (It's been a few years.) I stand corrected.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Refurb units sold on the website have always been pre-owned. Perhaps you're thinking of a different program.