2012 retina MacBook Pro 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarcusCarpenter, Jul 9, 2014.

1. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Anyone using these machines that are playing games regularly experiencing dGPU problems and kernel panics?

I've seen it all over the support forum however would like a real perspective of the 650m chip and is it bad like the 2011 AMDs?

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I played Empire Total War, The Sim 3, Civ 5, and SimCity 5 with base model mid 2012 15 inches MacBook Pro. No issues so far. :apple:

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

All reports I read say that 650M/750M are implemented well in the rmbp.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 2012 rMBP and I've not experienced any KPs or any issues with the dGPU

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

6. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I'd hardly consider one machine (checked the support forums, no sign of anyone with similar problems) throwing kernel panics for one reason or another (we don't know it's the GPU or something else) enough reason to suspect another Nvidiagate...

It could be a vast array of other problems, like bad RAM, corrupted OS files, a program crashing or a third party driver failing. I thought my current machine was on it's last legs and had it sent in for diagnistics which turned up nothing. Turned out it was just Opera crashing and causing kernel panics, which stopped completely as soon as I switched to Chrome.

Another thing that speaks against another Nvidiagate is that when your computer fell for it (my machine at the time did), the screen would go black and you wouldn't get any kind of signal out of the machine until after you replaced the motherboard. It didn't throw Kernel Panics or anything like it, it just died.

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Im good here. Had mine since early last year.

2012 rmbp 650m

8. MarcusCarpenter thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Confirmed 650m was dead.

Just purchased the late 2013 15 rMBP Iris Pro only.. Never will I purchase another Mac with dGPU I was effected by the 8600GT the ATi 6750 and then the Nvidia 650m

Never again. Iris Pro for me :)