Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
My 2012 Retina macbook pro is having some heat issues and I was wondering if it's something I can fix by replacing the battery.
The battery is showing that it needs to be serviced and although the computer is quite old now, it really shouldn't be having so much heat while just running Chrome and a few other apps.

What do you guys think? will replacing the battery solve the issue? or is it something that requires replacing the computer?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Unlikely, but you're going to have to elaborate on "heat issues." What are the temperature sensors reporting? It probably isn't an issue if the computer is operating, in any case.

However, if the battery needs to be serviced then it should probably be replaced anyway unless you're fine with using the computer as a desktop.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Unlikely, but you're going to have to elaborate on "heat issues." What are the temperature sensors reporting? It probably isn't an issue if the computer is operating, in any case.

However, if the battery needs to be serviced then it should probably be replaced anyway unless you're fine with using the computer as a desktop.

I see.
I've screen-capped the temperature sensors report below.
Fan is running around 2200 RPM.

Attachments

• Messages Image(475347485).png
    Messages Image(475347485).png
    68.5 KB · Views: 88

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I had my rMBP 2012 running like yours. 4 days ago I opened it and was full of dust. I cleaned everything and replaced the termal paste and now it runs much cooler.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I see.
I've screen-capped the temperature sensors report below.
Fan is running around 2200 RPM.
Those temps are quite cool, actually. Nothing at all to worry about. Your battery health has nothing whatsoever to do with operating temperatures.

Unless your CPU is reaching 105C (or more), you have nothing to fear.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
ah very nice. i guess it's from the dust.
will they remove the dust when i replace the battery at the apple store?

dza

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Don't use Chrome, it's a resource hog.
Are you an Apple representative or what? Software, unless ridicolously bad like Apple's quick look on pictures is perfectly fine.

You should expect to run any software unless it is overly using 90-100% CPU for extensive amounts of time.

I feel sorry that you keep putting official apple tantrums here. No one can tell anyone only to use builtin software exclusively. Safari might be optimized. But there are other softwares that are not made by Apple and it is perfectly fine as long as there is no extensive CPU usage like folding@home, bitcoin miners or other stupidness.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Are you an Apple representative or what? Software, unless ridicolously bad like Apple's quick look on pictures is perfectly fine.

You should expect to run any software unless it is overly using 90-100% CPU for extensive amounts of time.

I feel sorry that you keep putting official apple tantrums here. No one can tell anyone only to use builtin software exclusively. Safari might be optimized. But there are other softwares that are not made by Apple and it is perfectly fine as long as there is no extensive CPU usage like folding@home, bitcoin miners or other stupidness.
He's not wrong about google chrome being a resource hog though. Even the google engineers admitted it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...rome-team-is-working-on-fixes-for-ram-hogging

dza

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
He's not wrong about google chrome being a resource hog though. Even the google engineers admitted it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...rome-team-is-working-on-fixes-for-ram-hogging

I'm biased towards Firefox and the advanced and customizable experience. And also that is compromised in Chrome even though it is just as heavy Firefox remains the most advanced browser on the planet in terms of features, extensions, and insane customizability.

But seeing his posts he is defending Apple with fanboy excuses. Using another browser than Safari is perfectly fine! It might not be as efficient, power saving, and might raise the temperature a bit. But it won't exceed what is expected to be normal in any case .. If you disable Flash I refuse to support that claim in any way .. Also RAM usage is very often not correlated to heat and CPU although an application using alot of RAM sometimes also uses a decent amount of CPU.

And by the way: Safari is not the preferred browser to optimize for by web developers they choose Chrome/Firefox and this might be because they don't want to struggle with all the differences. But the majority supports Firefox and Chrome and thats a great reason to use another browser more supported browser.

Reactions: christarp

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Chrome is ridiculously bad. Just try it yourself and watch your battery life plummet like a rock and your Mac will heat up really badly.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Hey, think whatever you want. Chrome sucks on OSX. The OP was complaining about excessive heat, which can be attributed to Chrome. Maybe stay on topic?

As for the fanboy comments, its true, I do like Apple stuff. I also like PCs. Not sure why you have a problem with that, frankly I don't care. If you've got a problem with what I have to say, feel free to block me! :D

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Try compressed air canister and do it often.
The 2012 MBP Retina run a bit hotter whereas the 2013+ Haswells, etc do run noticeably cooler.

I will try that.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.