2012 rMBP 13 or 2013 MBA 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kawalerzysta, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kawalerzysta macrumors member

kawalerzysta

I have a dilema that I hope can be solved. Just recently I have bought 2012 rMBP 13 (i5/8GB/128MB). With all discounts it came to $1149. I love the display and overall look of the laptop. I am thinking about returning it and getting similar MBA air (i5/8GB/128MB). It would cost me $1139, so it would be $10 cheaper. What speaks for Air is battery life and little better specks. Pros for 2012 rMBP is screen. The question is, for basically same cost, should I keep rMBP or should I get MBA 13 inch with similar specks. I just use computer for surfing the web, wathing Youtube and Netflix and may very light MS Office work. Will keep the laptop for 3-4 years.

2. froggyjo macrumors newbie

If you travel a lot and need the ultimate road warrior kind of laptop with >12h of autonomy -> get the Air. If you fall into any other category, go for the MBP.

3. majkom macrumors 65816

MBA 13 ha ac wifi - much faster, it has has well cpu - longer battery life (14 hours of surfing), it is little lighter.. on the other hand, rMBpro has better screen (if no IR occurs).. and for my eyes, retina MacBooks are simply laggy (expose is laggy as hell) - so it is up to you, I would choose air (I did choose air:)

4. kawalerzysta thread starter macrumors member

kawalerzysta

I dont travel, but battery life would be nice.

----------

AC wi-fi is non issue for me sinc at this point all I have is n router and I have no plans to do any upgrades soon. As for retina screen, I dont notice any laggines, however I will perform IR test today to see if any burn ins are created. If there is any issuy, it will be going back.

5. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

6. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I am in a similar situation, but the reverse. I have the 2013 13" MBA, but am looking at the late 2012 13" rMBP or the late 2013 13" rMBP. My MBA has been great, but I really like the retina display. Basically, I am evaluating spending the extra money for that retina display and at what compromise on battery life.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1660004

7. kawalerzysta thread starter macrumors member

kawalerzysta

What I can say from using base rMPB is that I did not have any issues with video playback or with everyday tasks. I am not power user, so I will probaly never tax the comuter to its limits. Truth be told, I could probably get Chromebook and be fine with its perfomance. I guess I have to decide do I want battery life or eye candy. Decision, decisions ...