2012 rMBP (base) or 2012 MBA (base)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j4jealousy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. j4jealousy macrumors member

One of my main concerns is whether or not the 2012 MBA (1.8 Ghz i5, 4gb RAM, 128gb SSD) would be capable of running Logic Studio and POSSIBLY Final Cut Pro. I like to make music and edit video for fun. I know the rMBP is capable of that, replacing my desktop (iMac 24", 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM, 250gb HDD) and more!

I was initially considering blowing all my grad money on the rMBP, but with prep classes for my RN license test coming up this week, I wanna be able to get good notes. I have an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard, but find it uncomfortable to make notes on.

I also want to take into consideration that taking the RN license test will cost $200 each time (should i need to repeat it! Hopefully not!). Although the idea of a financial safety net gives me a sense of security.

Should I get the rMBP, wait to buy it until after I get a job later this year, or get a MBA as a temporary device to make notes (and make beats maybe)?

2. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Go with a base model Macbook Pro 13 inch or Better model MBA if you want to do performance things like video editing and creating music.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The MBA is way more portable for note-taking and is a bit more comfortable for typing because of the thinner edge.

If you're running Logic Studio and Final Cut Pro without difficulty on your iMac you won't have any issues running them on the MBA, which is considerably more powerful, but I'd upgrade the RAM to 8 GB, since it's your only chance to do so when you buy it.