2012 rMBP going back for repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agaskew, Dec 2, 2014.

1. agaskew macrumors 6502

In order to address some graphics related issues, chiefly the "fuzz" on screen when waking from sleep and the intermittent freeze ups due to GPU hangs, my 2012 rMBP recently had a replacement logic board fitted (hooray for Applecare). The repaired machine was returned at the end of October after a 10 day wait while the board arrived. It ran fine although maybe a touch warmer than before...

Fast Forward to Nov 27 and oh dear, its happened again, in front of a customer this time :eek: Not good for business!

Same issue - locked solid and System log shows "GPU Hang". Yesterday I opened it from sleep and found it had rebooted by itself, though this time there is just a time gap in the log...

Tomorrow, its booked in with Apple again. I know 2 other people with 2012 rMBPs who finished up with a replacement machine in the end.

I hate to say it but the 2012 rMBP may have an Intel GPU problem.

Wish me luck...

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Replacement is possible with significant amount of major repairs in a short period of time ;)

Not forgetting you'll be getting the latest model if you qualified for a replacement - good luck!

3. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Good luck! Hopefully they get everything straightened out for you.

4. agaskew thread starter macrumors 6502

So after some discussions during which they theorised that the problem could be software related (even though last time they replaced the logic board), the laptop was replaced with a brand new rMBP: 2.8Ghz/16GB/1Tb SSD :eek:

Lesson: Applecare is a must.

5. GameFreak348 macrumors regular

have fun with the iris 5100, games like bf3 easily run on it

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No amount of logic board replacements will solve it, it's a driver issue I imagine.

I had my 2012 replaced because of it too.

7. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Awesome, I just had my laptop replaced recently too with a 2014 rMBP 2.8GHz/16GB/1TB SSD. My laptop was replaced because of Radeongate on my 2011 Macbook Pro. What version of the 2012 Macbook Pro Retina did you have? I was surprised when Apple replaced my model with the maxed out version. My previous model was 2011 Macbook pro 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon 6750M, 750GB Hard drive. I guess since my original model had the 750GB hard drive they had to upgrade me to the 1TB rMBP instead of the 512GB version. I'm not complaining. :):)

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The exact same spec as my AppleCare replacement for my 2012 rMBP.

It's not software. I had the same problems with Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite Beta (never got to put the GM on it, because it was released whilst they were trying to repair mine).

I'm wondering if it was a bad batch of graphics chips.

----------

With that spec he also has the dGPU

9. agaskew thread starter macrumors 6502

The 2012 model was an rMBP 2.7Ghz/16Gb/750Gb. As the Apple store guy said, they always have to replace a machine with one that has equal or better specs.

This new rMBP is not that much different to the old one IMO. If you have a 2012 model that's performing well, I personally wouldnt sweat it about getting the 2014 model. This new one does have more storage and a faster SSD, plus a 2Gb NVIDIA GeForce GT750M, but in my use patterns (mostly Office, email and heavy VMWare usage) there have been no "Wow" moments...yet. Both are great machines.

----------

Forgot to say I am the 3rd person at our small company that's had their 2102 rMBP replaced.

10. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Wow, I really want to see the specs of the rMBP that got replaced :p