2012 rMBP Graphics Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dholtz001, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Dholtz001 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

I I have been having some issues that I believe are caused by my gt 650m. I have a 2012 15 inch rMBP and i noticed an issue where the screen would randomly shut off. No matter how many times I turned it on and oft screen was black. The main reason I knew it was on was that the volume keys made sound when pressed. After waiting a bit the screen would always work again. One time when the screen was off I tried an option command pr reboot. After the reset the gt 650m was no longer detected. I tried a d boot and I could not find my network so I just restarted and the gt 650 m reappeared. With the reappearance came the black screen issues. I believe the gpu is dead or there is a driver error.

TLDR: My computer is not finding my gt 650m. When it is found the screen goes black.

Anyone else having issues with 2012 rMBPs? I have heard of apple Nvidia recalls in the past but not with this model.

2. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

et tu, 2012 RMBP ?

I am sincerely hoping the 2012 models are not flawed.
    Do you have AppleCare ?

3. Dholtz001, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

Dholtz001 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to do d-restart it again but this time with my ethernet adapter. When I began the test my screen instantly went dark. I waited 20 minute but nothing happened. I didn't get to see the results but I guess that in itself is a failure. Sadly I don't have apple care. I am going to take it to the apple store in a few days and see what they have to say.

4. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While you don't have applecare, it may not hurt to take it in, and have apple look at it - even if you choose not to spend the money to have them repair it.

I'm really hoping this isn't the start of another radeongate problem for the 2012 models (as I'm an owner as well).

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Are you EU based? You may still be covered if you are. It may be worth a trip to the Apple Store. There have been a number of issues with 2012 rMBP logic boards, although Apple are not officially acknowledging this. Get it in for testing.

7. agaskew macrumors 6502

My 2012 rMBP has had that problem, once, (black screen) though I have not had a problem where the Nvidia chip has disappeared.

It also had a few other graphics-related oddities.

For example, when waking from deep sleep, there would be 1-2 seconds of a screen of static 'snow' before the login screen popped up. Also the whole machine would sometimes freeze, requiring a forced reboot. These hangs would be visible in the System log as Intel GPU Hangs.

As I have Applecare, I took it in to Apple and it misbehaved right on cue. Its away right now having a new logic board fitted. The repair cost in UK (without Applecare) is about £400.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well i'd contest paying especially in the uk consumer law here says we can expect reasonable repairs up to 6 years after buying it,

You can easily argue that a logic board that fails after 2 years is not providing an acceptable level of product for an acceptable level of time.

People if you are in the EU this is five years.

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Mine was in for over 2 weeks and after 3 logic boards and a few other parts they gave up.

10. agaskew macrumors 6502

Thanks for updating - I'm picking it up today so let's see if its any better.

11. Samar7 macrumors member

I had EXACTLY the same issue. I sent it off to Apple for repair, received it back today. After installing Yosemite, i put the laptop to sleep for a bit, opened it up and bam, exactly the same issue yet again. This was the second time I gave apple my laptop and they just changed out the logic board. Not very happy to be honest, been without my laptop for over 18 days and now i'm going to have to take it back in yet again.

12. Brian Y, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

Brian Y macrumors 68040

There have been lots of comments about the mid-2012 retina graphics having issues under Yosemite. I've had it myself since GM2, and it still does it on the final version.

I'm hoping it's just a driver issue though.

My 2012 has the exact symptoms described above. Graphics "fuzz" before the login screen when waking from deep sleep, and occasional hangs with "Intel GPU Hang" as the cause.

Annoyingly it's just come back from having a new logic board due to the dedicated GPU failing! This looks like it's the intel drivers :/

13. agaskew macrumors 6502

I also hope its a driver issue. These issues never occurred with Mountain Lion.