2012 rMBP is Dying -- Advice on Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarketingGuy, May 23, 2016.

1. MarketingGuy macrumors member

It looks like my trusty 2012 rMBP might be dying. I'm having a hard time turning it on (fan runs at low RPM, but screen won't turn on). Sometimes it works fine, like right now I was able to get it to start (after about 10 attempts) to run the Apple Hardware Test (no errors found). I also received the full-screen black system crash / needs to restart error yesterday several times.

So, it brings me to my questions:
    1. Any idea what could be happening?
    2. What should I purchase if my rMBP is indeed dead? rMB that was just updated or wait to see if a new rMBP is released at WWDC?
    Current Setup
    I have a fully-loaded 2012 iMac that I use most of the time (I'm actually waiting for the new Mac Pro to come out as the 2012 iMac is already under powered for my usage). The rMBP is my travel computer (I visit clients / take business trips sporadically, so I need to be able to respond to emails, run Parallels for certain Excel macros and random windows software that I might be testing, open large file in Adobe CC, etc.

I prefer working on a desktop (laptops don't have enough RAM for my multitasking needs and the fans go nuts when I render anything, plus driving external display), but I need the laptop while traveling. I'm just afraid that the rMB will be too slow in a couple of years.

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

3. MarketingGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I didn't know they offered a flat rate repair service. I'll definitely consider it.

I actually intended on keeping the rMBP for a few more years (it fit perfectly for my needs, especially since I have the iMac for the heavy lifting).