2012 rMBP no video - Apple Complete Repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdang307, May 17, 2018.

1. jdang307 macrumors newbie

So one day, my mid 2012 rMBP just stops showing video. It's so damn quiet I can't tell if it's dead, or not showing video, if the battery is dead etc.

So I take it to apple, and the tech says, the screen is dead, the computer boots up, fans run, etc. and it's going to be like $1100 to fix (or something). I'm like okay, well if it's the led the external display should work right? He says it should (well you didn't test this? Lol). So he brings out a monitor to hook up and of course it doesn't work (nice, saved me a grand).

My friend repairs electronics (iphones, TVs, laptops) so I figure, I'll go buy my own screen and have him replace it and see if that works (although it shouldn't, since no video was even coming out of the external port). But it was worth a shot. When researching he finds this:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

I thought I was good to go! Even called Apple Support and they said yeah, bring it in. So I do. Apple tech says that extended program also ended :(

But they can do a complete repair for $5xx (I forget the exact amount). I've never heard about that before.

They said they'll repair anything and everything that needs repairing. My battery was kind of sucking. Machine ran hot and fans ran a lot. Clean installed a new OS but was getting constant freezing etc. Keyboard was clicking in one corner (kids dropped it probably)

What do you guys think? It's the most fully loaded rMBP they offered. I don't do anything vigorous on my laptop, I remote into my desktop via Splashtop. My heavy duty work is done on my Windows desktops.

What if I pay it and they won't replace the battery because it doesn't qualify as needing repair? The Computer would just shut off at 30% saying low battery. But plug it in and it's 30% or more.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Take your money and buy an Apple-refurbished 2015-design MacBook Pro.

Better all-around.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

As a 2012 rMBP owner myself, I second the advice above to get a used or refurbished Late 2013, 2014, or 2015 model. A 2012 rMBP is not worth a $500 repair as that is spending close to the entirety of what a used one in good condition is worth.

4. jdang307 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, refurb 2016-2017 13" rMBPs are going for about $1100. Maybe I'll just do that.

5. Webster's Mac macrumors member

Get the 2015. I've witnessed firsthand and heard many stories about how poorly the 2016-2017 macbook pros are holding up. The 2015 is a solid model, after several years of refining the same design. It's not just the keyboards on the new ones (if you don't know what I'm talking about, there are endless articles and threads talking about keyboard issues/failures on the 2916/2017 Macbook and Macbook Pros). A friend of mine has a 2016 Macbook Pro 15" with Touchbar and nearly maxed out (cost like $4k or so) and one of the speakers started popping when he plugged it in to charge and quit working. The battery is already at 82% capacity in just a year of ownership and 300 cycles (these are supposed to retain 70% capacity at 1,000 charge cycles...his isn't going to be even close). These aren't good machines. Save your money, get a 2015, and enjoy it while Apple gets their act together.

6. Macbookprodude macrumors regular

Macbookprodude

Better, but not upgradable.. Memory is soldered to board, can't do much with it though since it has no expansion.

7. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

So is his 2012, no?

8. jdang307, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

jdang307 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe so. I really don't mess with my Mac's. I use them as is. I'm more of a Windows guy and prefer the OS, but love the Macbook pro hardware. As mentioned above, I use it mostly for internet and Splashtop. Looking at some refurbs in the Apple store, I see some 13" rMBP's for $1099. Not bad!

But only 128GB. That's not enough to install: Office, Acrobat, and Photoshop is it? I don't plan on storing anything on the machine (dropbox, OneDrive).

EDIT: Screw it, I'll get 256gb minimum

9. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Just internet and logging into your desktop with Splashtop?

I’d just get an iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard for that use.

10. jdang307 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ipads don't last as long and get slow after a while.

Two, I do use Word and Acrobat a little.

Three, those tablets don't work so well on your lap.

11. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

1. macOS will throttle the CPU when a battery needs service.

2. Word and Acrobat are available for iOS.

3. That depends on the person. Some prefer it ... even on their lap. Others don’t.

A simple, “I don’t like iPads, and prefer a laptop instead” would’ve been easier.

12. jdang307 thread starter macrumors newbie

But I do like Ipads. I would also like a surface pro too. If they were stable on the lap, I'd use them for sure. I have an ipad pro I use to run my Skytrak Golf sim. But I use my laptop on my lap quite a bit.

I didn't mean my response to sound combative or anything, my apologies. I'm just verbose.

13. jdang307 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

Not that anyone cares, but maybe it'll help someone. I kept waffling between buying a new (or used) MBP, or fixing mine. Decided to look for a used one on OfferUp, and found a repair place. They did something called "reflow" and if it didn't work, I didn't have to pay. If it did, it was $80. Why not?

So far, it worked! So no new laptop for now. If I can squeeze another year out of this I'm happy.

14. Webster's Mac macrumors member

Reflows are generally temporary fixes. Get a fan control program like Macsfancontrol and run the fans fast most of the time

15. StockDC2 macrumors regular

An $80 reflow probably consists of putting a hair dryer on the GPU for 5 minutes. In other words, it's a temporary fix and can/will most likely fail again.

16. Harveyd3 macrumors newbie

Hi, a year ago I took the big step from PC to Mac by buying a used 15” mid 2012 MBP. Other than the learning curve I took a liking to it until today. Boot up was normal except no display so I Tried adjusting the brightness and contrast as something I did brought up a reset password or reload system disk on screen. Has anyone seen this before and know what steps to take next? I am totally unfamiliar with Mac trouble. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

17. Webster's Mac macrumors member

Can you send a picture or clarify what you mean by "brought up a reset password or reload system disk on screen". If your Mac is encrypted with FileVault, the reset password screen will come up if you try to boot into recovery mode after failing to enter in your password (multiple times, most likely). If you are not getting any display except for when it boots into recovery mode, you should try:

Reset PRAM: Power off your MacBook. Hold down Command + Option + P + R and then press the power button until it reboots twice and you hear the Mac chime. Release the keys.

Let us know how it goes!

18. Harveyd3 macrumors newbie

Wow!! You are amazing it worked as you described. This Mac Forum is awesome! When I related what happened I should have written the screen down verbatim as I tried to recall I got a couple of screens mixed together. I apologize for any confusion caused because of my lack of recall. Reset password was one and Reset drop own menu was startup disk I believe. It makes sense what you said about wrong password entered incorrectly multiple times as I tried random function key combinations to attempt getting video restored. Is what happened a sign of system problems to come or just inherent to this model? Thank you again as I was unsure what had happened thinking mostly that the Video processor went bad.

19. Harveyd3 macrumors newbie

Harveyd3macrumors newbie
    Saturday
    Wow!! You are amazing it worked as you described. This Mac Forum is awesome! When I related what happened I should have written the screen down verbatim as I tried to recall I got a couple of screens mixed together. I apologize for any confusion caused because of my lack of recall. Reset password was one and Reset drop own menu was startup disk I believe. It makes sense what you said about wrong password entered incorrectly multiple times as I tried random function key combinations to attempt getting video restored. Is what happened a sign of system problems to come or just inherent to this model? Thank you again as I was unsure what had happened thinking mostly that the Video processor went bad

20. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I agree with Fishrrman, use that money to buy a newer refurbished model from Apple, in general if it has major of issues it might be time to retire the poor old machine. Those models aren't far from being listed as "vintage" by Apple, so if if has more issues in the future it might get harder/more expensive to get repairs done.

21. Webster's Mac macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply. Probably just a glitch. I work on computers a lot, and you'd be surprised what kind of temporary glitches that you'll see that, once fixed, are just that, a temporary glitch. I know someone who had a Macbook Air where the fan would run at full speed all the time! I reset the SMC on it and then it would only run fast when the computer was hot. He ended up selling that computer to someone else I know, who still uses it to this day without issues (and it still runs nice and quiet).