2012 rMBP or MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bperkyho, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Bperkyho macrumors newbie

I currently have a 2011 11" MBA with 1.6 i5/ 4gb memory/ 128gb. Would the 2012 air be a noticeable difference or should I consider the rmbp? Size is an issue since I travel all the time. Use it mainly for email, spreadsheets, and basic Internet.

2. coolstuff92 macrumors newbie

Is your current Macbook broken? Is there any particular reason why you're upgrading as your current laptop should be fine for those uses.

3. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

I purchased the 13" 2012 MacBook Air when it came out in June primarily for university. Although I liked the size of the 11" I wanted/needed the most battery life I could get and hence I had to go with the 13".

I put my MacBook Air on Ebay last week and purchased the 13" rMBP on Saturday. Although it is 500€ more here is why I think it is the best way to go (for me):

• it is only slighlty heavier
    • apart from the wedge it is actually physically smaller
    • the screen IS amazing --> color accuracy, viewing angle and high DPI count makes it very easy on the eye for reading all of my medical ebooks
    • it runs quieter then the Air --> tested with several games in Windows

Although the price is very steep (especially if you go with the bigger version which brings you close to the 15" price range which would be the better value proposition then), I wouldn't want to go back. Clearly it was made with Haswell in mind and I'm sure it will rock completely next refresh. But right now for everybody who needs to read a lot on a computer screen this is a no brainer!

4. Bperkyho thread starter macrumors newbie

Current MBA is working fine, just would like a larger screen for spreadsheets.

5. coolstuff92 macrumors newbie

Either computer would fit your needs, it's really up to how much you want to spend and what you want. The 13" Air is a little more portable than the 13" retina, although probably not enough for it to be a deciding factor. I expect the MBA to run a little faster than what you currently have, but probably not noticeably unless you're doing anything graphically intensive. I'd say go to an Apple store and have a look and see what you like best.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

the 13 rmbp shouldnt even be a question now.

If you Need a new computer then the choices should be 13mba or the 15retina.

Seems like your air is still working, why not use it until the next round of updates? mayeb the 13retine will be a better buy.