2012 rmbp performance issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by magbo, Nov 4, 2013.

1. magbo macrumors newbie

Hey everyone and thanks for reading!

I've had a rmbp in over a year now, and since day 1 it has been a real troublemaker. It has been in apple service like 5 times for different reasons. But the realy big problem is the way it downclocks all the time. especially in bootcamp. Every time I start a game, like battlefield 4, it downclocks all the way down to 270mhz and stays there. Naturally the game runs very bad with a maximum fps of around 25. When I close the game the clock goes up again to 796mhz, and when it's running on 796mhz the temperature lies stable at 92 degress C. The fans are running at maximum speed. Also in mavericks i feel games like LOL are running quite poorly. At a resolution of 1400x900 and on medium graphics it peaks at around 50fps. I've tried reset SMC, reinstalled windows more times then i can count, tried what feels like a million different drivers and set the maximum processor state at 99%.

It's also worth noting that it has been on service 3 times earlier because of the downclocking problem which they said they fixed with a new heatsink. It fixed it a bit, but never really solved it. It's very hard to explain to apple what the problem is because it's only in bootcamp it is realy noticeable. And then they just say it's windows fault and there is nothing they can do. What I think the problem is, is the way my mac handles the voltage. It can't deliver the voltage it needs to in bootcamp since the power management in windows is inferior to os x.

Thanks again for help!

2. magbo thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Sadisterr macrumors member

Shame that nobody can actually answer this, as it seems I have similar problem with my cMBP mid 2012. Overheating and poor performance in OSX and in Windows. I use throttlestop for Windows to stop overheating and downclocking, I usually run my CPU at about 2.0ghz, temperature then never goes over 90C, GPU is around 80C.
    I did thermal paste reapply 3 times with no real effect and it seems to me that the problem is getting worse over time. Only thing I can think about is to replace my heatsink with new one, but I dont really know if that is going to make any difference.

Sigh.

4. kittencounter macrumors member

I can say that all the Macbooks are NOT for gaming. They are the best working machines out there for all kind of works. Everyone knows that Macbooks have pretty bad heat issue under high load of CPU and GPU. Normally when you work on the machine, all the data mostly get in and out the SSD and RAM. The CPU and GPU only kick in high now and then. If you buy a Macbook and play games on it, it's like you are torturing it. You get slow frame rates, the fans kick in like jet turbines and the heat is practically destroy the machine with your hand on it.

5. Sadisterr macrumors member

That is not really possible and not true, simply based on fact that Apple DO support gaming on Macs, you can see games (and demanding games too!) in appstore and also a lot of games support OS X also. Therefore we should be able to play games on our Macbooks. If it (over)heats, Apple ****ed up somehow, or could do better anyway. Maybe splitting the heatsink, that CPU and GPU each would have separated heatsinks. At least for a start. Not to mention that games under OS X run generally very terribly, for example, League of Legends under bootcamp Win 7 - 60 fps highest settings, very smooth. Under Mavericks - around 30fps on medium, not really smooth and barely playable. And they said they will update the GPU drivers for Mavericks, but it does not seem so. How can we play ie. Witcher 2 under OS X, if it cant handle League of legends at all?

Core i7, 650GT and 8GB RAM my ass.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This is the first time I've heard of down clocking on MBPs.

My Sandy Bridge MBP frequently runs in TurboBoost mode all the time. In Windows 8.1, under Task Manager, even when idle, it runs at 3.25GHz.

7. Sadisterr, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

Sadisterr macrumors member

Downclocking or disabling turboboost works only under Windows (Bootcamp).
    If yours run in turbo mode all the time, something is fishy and definitely wrong. Mine runs at 800Mhz when idle.

But I believe that task manager does not show correct and actual information. Try some 3rd software to show real actual CPU speed.

Myself, I cannot use turboboost under bootcamp Win7, if I do, I get to 100-105C within a blink of an eye.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Should be a bug, I'll wager :)

9. yinz macrumors 6502a

Wow, I am convinced. I'm not even being sarcastic here. That makes complete sense. I wonder what's the difference between gaming and "work". I mean, you'd think some of those functions would overlap. Apparently not.

10. magbo thread starter macrumors newbie

So nobody has the same problem as me with their rmbp?