2012 rMBP praise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by muffinman3679, Feb 2, 2015.

1. muffinman3679 macrumors newbie

muffinman3679

Been using my stock 2.3/8/256 Retina macbook pro for just over 30 months now. its been under heavy use nearly every day, with the gt 650m being clocked at 1035/1674 for about 8 months now. Even dropped it onto concrete stairs by accident at Uni last year :(, and i have to say this thing is a beast. Still feels as if its brand new, and even tho the gpu has been overclocked for a long time now, the temps still don't creep past 78C.

I guess now I'll wait and see if this years rendition is worth the upgrade, or if it will be as disappointing as the 2013/14 releases.

2. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I bought one the day they launched in June 2012 and feel the exact same way. I'm still waiting for Apple to release a Retina Thunderbolt Display though. I want a second Thunderbolt Display but can't justify the $999 price tag for outdated technology. Also thinking about getting the 5K iMac instead if I decide not to wait.

3. muffinman3679 thread starter macrumors newbie

muffinman3679

Haha YES! though i will most likely wait for the 2nd iteration of the retina iMac, as it has a lot of pixels to push. ddr4 would help too.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Got mine in August 2012 as my first Mac and it served me well for two years. It is still a great machine, especially since it was the tier below maxed-out (2.6 quad-core i7, 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM). I'd still be using it today if I hadn't badly wanted a desktop in the form of a retina iMac.

I'd recommend going with the iMac since a 2012 rMBP can't drive a 5K display anyway.

----------

Fair enough, I'm enjoying mine now and will likely keep it for as long if not longer than I kept the rMBP.

Funny how the "it has a lot of pixels to push" excuse was mentioned with the original rMBP as well. I certainly never noticed on the rMBP and am not noticing it now on the iMac either.

5. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Yeah and the 2012 rMBP also can't support 2 4K monitors at 60 Hz. I am undecided between the 5K iMac or waiting on a rMBP refresh and getting two 4K monitors. I just want as much desktop space as possible to do my job -- which happens to be for this site! :apple:

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Only get a rMBP if portability is absolutely crucial, otherwise the iMac is your best choice. The 5K iMac can also run a 4K monitor at 60 Hz.

7. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I have an iMac, and ever since i got this i never use the iMac. Maybe to upload photos.

8. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

5K iMac + 4K Monitor would be an amazing setup.

Plus keep my rMBP and its Thunderbolt Display. Boom. :apple:

9. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

I bought the high-end rMBP in the summer of 2013 (Apple Certified refurb), and was happy with my $600 savings until the Late 2013 models appeared with faster PCI SSD, longer battery life, improved integrated graphics and Wireless-AC Wi-fi.

But after upgrading to Mavericks I noticed increased battery life, and better integrated graphics performance (smooth scrolling, no lags anywhere) thanks to the doubling of memory allocated to Intel's HD 4000 chip. (Yes, mine did exhibit with the image retention problem, but Apple fixed that for free.)

I've long since gotten over my misgivings, and am just loving this machine. I see no compelling reason upgrade to Broadwell at this point -- Skylake is promising even bigger changes (and hopefully a chassis redesign).