2012 rMBP sluggish?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paclunch, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Paclunch macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I own a 2012 rMBP(8gb ram, 256gb SSD). Recently, whenever I open up multiple PDF files to read/annotate or highlight I notice my computer starts to become incredibly sluggish and when I check activity monitor the memory that preview has taken up in the background to go up to 30gb when the file size of the pdf is just around 150mb.
    I've tried deleting the files in the libraries as stated by some threads but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Additionally when I've been using Safari youtube tends to be extremely slow for me most of the time as well. Scrolling starts to inconsistent and whenever I click a video to enlarge it, it hangs for several seconds before jumping into fullscreen mode. Clearing cache, or history doesn't help either. This issues don't seem to be there when I switch over to chrome though.

Is there another PDF reader out there that is recommended? Is the Safari issue a bug?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well I use skim for pdfs it's pretty good and resource friendly.

However I would suggest you have some issues there, firstly go into disk utility and repair the disk this may sort out your problems, if not you will have to find the rogue process and stop it or you may consider reinstalling OS X this may well sort you out.

3. RandomRazer Suspended

4. Paclunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well... thanks the suggestions, I guess il try reinstalling the OS when I'm free

5. powertoold macrumors 6502

6. Paclunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, most of my textbooks are around that size and it gets really slow after using the document for a while

7. idoccurt macrumors regular

Easy....replace hard drive with SSD...it will be a new machine

8. robvas macrumors 68020

If Preview is ballooning up to 30GB something is probably wrong

9. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

so?
    lol
    I'd strongly recommend you to do a clean OS X installation (don't restore from your TM backup!). If you aren't sure, find a decent USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt SSD and install OS X on it. If the problem persists (which is highly unlikely, because my similar specced machine is very fast) then have it checked in a good service center.

10. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

You clearly need a fresh install on your rMBP.
    Mine runs perfectly and even if it's 4 years technology this doesn't mean that it's not working. The rMBP 2015 has a better SSD and....a better cpu ( but not such a big difference).

11. sartrekid macrumors 6502

The 2012 rMBP is by no means sluggish, so it does sound like there's something wrong with your particular machine (hardware/software). I've nothing to add to the suggestions already made, this is just a heads up that I own the same machine and it's snappy like it was a few years ago. No lag. No stuttering.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

my 2012 rMBP is going strong, and I don't find it sluggish at all.

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

How much free disk space do you have? System tend to slow down when there is 20% or less free.

14. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Reinstall OS and do not reintroduce all settings (as in don't put a time machine backup back on as you'll be going back to square one).

And also, as mentioned above, use Skim, it is a lot better in my experience.

15. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

CPU's from the 2016 rMBP aren't that much faster than the Quad cores in the 2012 and 2013 rMBP's.

16. Paclunch thread starter macrumors newbie

I reinstalled the OSX El Capitan last night, preview does seem to be coming along better and I managed to free up some disk space with the reinstall anyway. I'll download skim to give it a shot as well thanks everyone!

17. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

That's not a hardware problem. Clearly Preview has a memory leak if it's showing 30gb. Try Skim. Report the problem to Apple using a radar so they fix the issue. The rMBP 2012 is a very powerful machine. You could try creating a new profile to see if the bug shows up there too or has something to do with this user.