2012 rMBP trackpad dying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maflynn, Mar 23, 2018.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like my 2012 rMBP's trackpad is going south, good news (or bad?) is that I made a genius appointment for this evening (over a week ago), to have the MBP's battery replaced. With any luck the top case will be replaced.

I was planning on getting a new MBP this summer, when the 2018 models are released, but the plan was that I'd still have the 2012 for use for my kids. Now that's all up in the air.

2. jerryk macrumors 601

Best of luck. Hopefully they will replace it all. I bet if you mention the trackpad getting wonky that will ensure a top case replacement. I assume this will be for free?

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Free, its a 6 year old computer, I fully expect to pay for he new battery. I'm hoping that I do get a new top case since the battery is glued in.

4. jerryk macrumors 601

I thought Apple had some sort of life expectancy on batteries. Like it should hold 80% charge until 1000 cycles.

5. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Within the warranty less than 80% of design capacity and under 1000 cycles would get a new battery free, yes. Once the warranty is over, good luck.

@maflynn the trackpad on that model is actually NOT part of the topcase assembly that gets replaced for a battery replacement, it is removed from the old topcase and reinstalled in the new one.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a 6 year old laptop, I seriously doubt apple will tell me its in warranty. I expecting to pay for a consumable component and in this case, it doesn't owe me anything.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2018 ---
    That's good to know, I'll be sure to thell apple that its not behaving and we'll what that will cost me

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, I took it in, and they told me the trackpad is part of the top case assembly, he told me actually double checked on that. I was being completely honest with him, saying I wanted the battery replaced but the day before my appointment the trackpad went south. He agreed that something isn't right with the trackpad.

That's the good news, the bad news, is I need to wait 2 weeks for the part to arrive and then another week for the repair. Oh well, I waited this long, and I have a Surface Book I can use for my mobility needs.

8. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

@maflynn Do you have a 15" or 13"? I think I looked up the 13", maybe the 15" is different.

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just to an update, the part came in a bit faster then I was expecting - yay. The laptop is now in Apple's hands, and hopefully it will be finished up by the weekend as I have some traveling coming up.

In first talking with them, they confirmed that the trackpad is part of the top case assembly so I have that going for me. They reassured me that the trackpad will be replaced. I was completely upfront and forth omcing with them, with regards to the trackpad.

15" model.

10. jerryk macrumors 601

What are they charging you for the top case replacement?

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We'll in a move that shocks me, they waived the fees because the parts are considered constrained and I had to wait a projected 2+ weeks just for the parts.

The laptop has been in Apple's hands for 5 days, and they told me a 3 to 5 day turn around. I'm getting a tad nervous that its taking longer then intended and I need the laptop next week. I may give either the apple store or apple support for an update later today (around 5:00pm), if I don't hear from them today.

12. jerryk macrumors 601

Wow. Assuming you get your machine back in time, that is great luck. Congrats!!!:D And buy a lottery ticket on the way home from picking it up!

13. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

i have, but no luck there :)

14. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

maflynn, buying a Apple Watch 3, I am excited, but will it be anything else than changing the song while travelling with a bluetooth headset?

15. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Rooting for you to get the machine this weekend.

I've had great experience with Apple, especially when you are honest with them. I have had an entire cup of coffee spilled on a brand new MacBook. I cleaned it, but like a week later half the keyboard stopped working. I told them the whole story and they told me about all the options, including the flat repair fee where you ship to a depot.

They replaced the keyboard for free and said it was not likely the coffee. Who knows... worked out okay.

16. jerryk macrumors 601

Sounds like your luck is changing. Maybe it is time to buy a new ticket. Or quit while you are ahead!

17. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I called the Apple store last night and it should be done by today - fingers crossed. I'll be happy if I can pick up by tomorrow. That will give me time to reload my software and data (I wiped it, before sending it in).

18. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I got my MBP back from Apple yesterday, and I've had some time to play with it. New keyboard, new trackpad, new battery. Cost to me $0. :D

I'm so happy about this, its like a brand new laptop, its great, and I'm estatic. Not just because I paid nothing, which goes a long way, but because I have my MBP back to the way it was. I've said so many times before, that this laptop is by far the best laptop I've ever owned. I believe I given this 6 year old laptop a new lease on life

19. jerryk macrumors 601

Best result you could have. Congrats!