Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I've had my 2012 rMBP since it's launch. Its battery has 430 cycle and I've made sure to keep it charged and drained to no less than 30% to keep it maintained. However, the battery health indicator shows that it has 79% rating. It once lasted for around 6-8 hours, and now it lasts only 4-5 hours.

To anyone who also have low cycle, how is your battery doing? If you also have a good info on 3rd party battery, please share!!!

I also heard some people got their battery replaced by Apple with no cost as an "exemption", due to "statutory" promise that the batteries will last 80% up to 1000 charges. I believe that statutory law also has its place in the U.S. (I live in California). Anyone has experience similar to these people?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To anyone who also have low cycle, how is your battery doing? If you also have a good info on 3rd party battery, please share!!!
I also have low cycle counts, but the actual function of the battery is that it does not last as long as it used too. I think 3 to 4 hours depending on usage.

I also heard some people got their battery replaced by Apple with no cost as an "exemption", due to "statutory" promise that the batteries will last 80% up to 1000 charges
You're not going to get apple to replace the battery for free on a 5 year old computer. Regardless of the cycle counts, its lasted 5 years and it is a consumable product.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
My machine lasts 2 hours max. Granted, I'm usually running a VM and have like 10 applications open, however the battery is significantly degraded. It's to be expected for a computer now 5 years old!

I'd recommend swapping out the battery with Apple if it's bothering you. Don't think there's much chance you'll get it replaced for free unless some Genius is having a good day. May happen but I wouldn't expect it.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I still use a mid-2012 cMBP as my daily driver since I bought it on release. Performance has been acceptable since I upgraded to an ssd (I still can't run any adobe apps newer than CS6), the battery is at 1100-1200 cycles and hovering around 82% of its original capacity according to coconut battery. I get about 4-5 hours of browsing/word processing and 2-3 hours of photoshop, illustrator etc.

I'm debating if the battery's worth replacing ever or if I should just buy a new machine this year or next

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
I have a mid-2012 rMBP and am also debating on replacing the battery, but was slightly confused. Apple says it's $199 to replace the battery, but if they also replace the top case it's $310. I've looked around and it seems like they generally replace the top case. Right now there's no sign of any battery swelling with the keyboard or trackpad, but it may have simply not gotten there yet. It also has 1,380 cycles.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple says it's $199 to replace the battery, but if they also replace the top case it's $310.
That's good to know, I've been debating whether it's worth putting 200 dollars into a 5 year old computer. If the price is actually 310, then I'd rather put that money towards a new machine

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
That's good to know, I've been debating whether it's worth putting 200 dollars into a 5 year old computer. If the price is actually 310, then I'd rather put that money towards a new machine
I managed to get a new battery in Oct last year for my rMBP 2012, inc new top case for £129 (so UK, obviously). The nice man at the desk looked at it, winked and then scratched the screen saying - "see - flaking off" there's a known issue with these screen coatings - tell you what we'll replace the screen too and you don't need to pay the labour on the battery"...The screen was perfect however, but I wasn't going to argue. Always had great service at the Apple Store and this is the 3rd time they went out of their way to get stuff done cheaper/free for me.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
I keep my macbook plugged in most of the time. :D
However i think you can keep that batery one more year...It's not that bad

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 1.00.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 1.00.15 AM.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 87

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
I managed to get a new battery in Oct last year for my rMBP 2012, inc new top case for £129 (so UK, obviously). The nice man at the desk looked at it, winked and then scratched the screen saying - "see - flaking off" there's a known issue with these screen coatings - tell you what we'll replace the screen too and you don't need to pay the labour on the battery"...The screen was perfect however, but I wasn't going to argue. Always had great service at the Apple Store and this is the 3rd time they went out of their way to get stuff done cheaper/free for me.

Hmm. I've never noticed an issue with my screen coating, but now that I look at it I might have it. For me it's around the edges of the bezel right against the black rubber piece. I always thought I wasn't cleaning it very well in those spots. It's also out of the way that I barely notice otherwise.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Hey guys. I've actually found a replacement battery being sold in a website called "laptopbatteryexpress". I've never heard about this brand, but I pulled the trigger. It says it has Samsung cells, so I'm assuming it should be good quality (no pun XD.. but seriously they still do make quality stuff)

I'll let you guys know how things work out for me. I'll be using Sticky-Out to remove the glue behind the battery.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Update: I finally got the battery from Laptopbatteryexpress.

So.. it was indeed, a painful process to get the battery pack out of my Macbook Pro. But I am getting the battery life (or perhaps better) of +8 hours of normal browsing again!! (from <5 hours). Obviously I only had it for a day, so I will need to see if this will last long.

HOWEVER, although the seller said that my battery is brand new, newly manufactured batter (it was on backorder and they said they needed to make more), my battery has a build date of 2015-02. This is kind of worrisome. I will contact the seller why I got such an old battery.

Other than that, I think this is one of the rare places they still sell batteries for 2012 Macbook Pro Retina.

Reactions: Sanpete

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
NJ

I've looked into it more and it looks I was mistaken on $310. It looks like $199 which is for the battery and a new top case. You get a new top case since the battery is glued. So besides the battery it looks like you also get a new keyboard and trackpad.

Reactions: Sanpete

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I've looked into it more and it looks I was mistaken on $310. It looks like $199 which is for the battery and a new top case. You get a new top case since the battery is glued. So besides the battery it looks like you also get a new keyboard and trackpad.

Yep - that's what I got when they replaced it.

Reactions: silentownage001

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA

Interesting. That actually sounds like a great deal with a NEW keyboard and trackpad. My 2012 rMBP is run on battery quite often since I bought in Nov of 2012. I'm at only 74% Battery Capacity and 763 Charge Cycles and I still can get about 4-5 hours with light web surfing from a full charge.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Interesting. That actually sounds like a great deal with a NEW keyboard and trackpad. My 2012 rMBP is run on battery quite often since I bought in Nov of 2012. I'm at only 74% Battery Capacity and 763 Charge Cycles and I still can get about 4-5 hours with light web surfing from a full charge.

I doubt that they'd replace the top casing for $200 (or may be it is a refurbished case/keyboard). To do so, they need to remove the entire motherboard, heatsink, speakers, mag-safe port, radio antennae, and much more to replace a single part and charge $200.

If I was able to replace the glued battery in 30 minutes without damaging anything, Apple should have much better equipment to do that better and faster.

And if they really do change out the keyboard/casing, Apple will no doubt advertise this as this is a added-benefit. But then again, whether paying up $100 more for (refurbished) keyboard/case that you probably may not need is debatable as well.
[doublepost=1491034427][/doublepost]
Hmm. I've never noticed an issue with my screen coating, but now that I look at it I might have it. For me it's around the edges of the bezel right against the black rubber piece. I always thought I wasn't cleaning it very well in those spots. It's also out of the way that I barely notice otherwise.

They have a "recall" going on to replace those flaking off screens. Although I dont have the problem as of yet since 2012.
[doublepost=1491034651][/doublepost]

I'd say just replace it on your own. It wasn't too difficult. Just have to be careful.

There are a few methods of removing the batteries.
One is to use GooGone (or stickyout) but this has a high risk of damaging your trackpad.
Two is to use string to "cut-out" the clue by moving it side by side under the battery.

My method was to use both -- I slightly soaked my string on to StickyOut and slid it under the battery to cut out the bondage. This takes time, but I think it is the safest method. But make sure to never NEVER puncture the battery and take your time. Try using a strong string. I used a weak cloth sewing string and I had to use new string every few "sliding".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.