2012 rMBP w/ 2 simultaneous displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, May 3, 2014.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So basically, I'd like to buy two Dell 2412m monitors...Since the 2012 rMBP has two thunderbolt/minidisplay ports, could I just plug each monitor into a separate port? Or would the video just be mirrored on both displays? My MBP will just be in clamshell mode.

Thanks!

2. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Anyone?

3. dalupus macrumors regular

I have plugged 3 monitors(2 24" and 1 19") into mine with no issues, but I wouldn't try to use it in clamshell mode. It gets too hot. get a nice stand and use the mac as a 3rd screen.

I have one of these:
    http://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hirise-for-macbook

-- Technically it was 5 screens since I also used the screen on the laptop itself and a small USB MIMO display.

4. Fimeg macrumors regular

I've used my 2012 rMBP in clamshell every day since I've got it (about 18 months ago) and it powers three displays. I use it with several USB 3 Hubs and each display has it's own operating system via Parallels, e.g., Windows, OSX, and Arch Linux. I have a computer and deal with customers from every OS. This is my main work machine, whether it be cloning hard disks, maintenance on disks, repairing corrupt windows boot cfg...etc. I do use smcFanControl and run it at max, and this machine occasionally gets to 105c, but it generally is at about 98c under load.

I think this machine is great...

5. dalupus macrumors regular

yeah that 2012 gets pretty hot. The only thing I would worry about is the heat damaging the screen. The upper portion of the keyboard gets extremely hot with the 2012 model. They seem to have fixed that in later models.

6. hyune83 macrumors member

Does running the laptop in clamshell mode make a large difference in regards to heat?

7. Fimeg macrumors regular

I notice about 8º Celsius difference.