2012 v 2014 for Lightroom+Future

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by crazeazn, Jun 25, 2015.

1. crazeazn macrumors member

I plan to use this computer solely for Lightroom. I have a Sony A7R so my raw files are 50-60 megs a pop so I need to know if dual core/high clock is better or if quad core/lower clock is better OR if pci-express trumps sata ssd. Please chime in.

Option 1: find 2012 mac mini i7 2.6 quad core, 16gig, apple SSD
    Option 2: 2014 mac mini i7 3.0 dual core, 16 gig, apple SSD (PCI-E)

Caveats: I will pay the extra for apple SSD b/c I want trim and continue to update the OS.

Question 1: If the 2014 comes with a fusion drive, does that mean I don't need to buy the special bracket? I'm under the impression that a fusion drive is just software and inside there is a separate ssd + traditional drive so a fusion would already come with a ssd on the pci-e? So all I need to buy is the T6 security screwdriver.

Question 2: If I buy the 2014, which PCI-E drive would I need to buy?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151605593746
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151701291455

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Option 1, because the quadcore will smoke the dual core any day.

3. crazeazn thread starter macrumors member

so LR needs more processors than clock? and i'm guessing diminishing returns for SSD speed?

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Both helps, but the iops difference between pcie and sata is not noticable and Lr utilizes all cores.

It needs to be said that unless you are batch processing massive amounts of files, nothing makes any relevant difference. Even the base mini with an hdd runs Lr perfectly fine. The ssd and cpu only make a difference, when importing and exporting.

5. crazeazn thread starter macrumors member

I'm batch processing alot of files. the A7R raws are roughly 50-60 megs a piece and in batches of 100-200. The importing and exporting takes forever.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

In that case: the more cores, the better!

7. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

El Capitan will support TRIM on non-Apple SSDs. So that gives you some more options there.

8. crazeazn thread starter macrumors member

Then I could run 850 pros in raid on the 2012.... what do you think?

9. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

I think that you should check this machine out:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/G...3ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i7-with-oS-X-Server

Some say that this particular deal is not discounted enough but a 2.3 i7 is not far from the 2.6 i7 and you could save $ for extra drive mount hardware. (The server mini is already configured for RAID hardware.)

Look fast!

10. crazeazn thread starter macrumors member

11. newellj macrumors 601

LR is definitely sensitive to clock speed but I can tell you from experience that the quad core is more significant and makes a huge difference. You did not mention generating 1:1 previews but those will be significantly faster, too.

12. crazeazn thread starter macrumors member

i've been waiting patiently on ebay!