2013 11" i5 MBA Sleep/Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Aylan, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Hi all,

Yes, I've searched the forums and Googled as well and found no answer or someone else with this issue.

I run my MBA mostly in clamshell mode attached to a Dell 27" IPS connected via a mDP->HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable connection to the Dell. It is also connected via USB to a wired Apple Keyboard and is paired with a Magic Mouse.

Every night I set my computer to sleep which also disables the Dell which I also turn off. I do unplug the MagSafe because I can't stand the green glow. I've noticed that the next time I wake the MBA, 50% of battery or so has drained. Usually, I set to sleep around 12AM and then wake the MBA around 7PM the following day or so.

Is this kind of drainage usual or could there be something the comp is doing while it "sleeps" that uses this much power? I always assumed that MBA got more than that sleeping time. I am a bit OCD about this and I always quit all apps before putting to sleep so I know it is not some app I leave running.

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

----------

I think I answered my question as I finished my entry. It occurred to me to look at my mission control preferences and noticed that I was using a hot corner that states "put display to sleep" to make the computer go to sleep. I d not think I am placing the comp in sleep mode I am just disabling the display. Going to try that out tonight and see what happens.

What a silly thing for me to do, I should have known better, I thought I knew what OS X in/out.

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

If you have PowerNap on for battery usage, then yes this is normal.

Also, why unplug? You do know that Apple protects the battery from over charging , right?

I have my computer shut down every night at 1AM and then wake up at 7AM. It has to be plugged in for the boot up though. It's plugged into my external monitor and it's nice my alarm goes off and my computer is ready by the time I sit down at my desk.