2013 11in Samsung, My ext IPS235 looks like crap

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ozAdamz, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ozAdamz macrumors newbie

The internal display on this looks really great to me, its so sharp and can go really bright without losing anything.

I hook the MBA up to a LG IPS235 along with the internal and the LG looks like crap, it seems dark and the two screens are so different in colour, it just seems way off. I have tried calibrating the LG with the built in Apple calibration but it does not help at all. It seems that when I flick through all named calibrations on the internal LCD I see a large difference in the colours but when I flick through them on the external LG I just get washed out almost black and white colours or the dark colours.

I never noticed this before with this monitor plugged into a PC. I spose it just looks crap next to the mba but I thought this monitor was IPS and a decent screen. Could there be something missing, like a driver or is there any software I can use to calibrate it better?

Cheers

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact adapter do you use to connect the display to your Mac?
    On page 15 of the user manual you can see how to set the colour internally, have you tried that?

Manual of the LG LCD IPS Display model IPS235V and IPS225V (uploaded to Dropbox, since it was stored complicated somewhere else, idiotic behaviour)

3. ozAdamz thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok thats a good point is there a difference in these thunderbolt to HDMI converters? I am using a no name one from JB Hifi in Australia.

I did try the internal settings of the monitor as well.

Should I be able to get better performance out of this cheap IPS display than the internal screen?

4. simsaladimbamba

It should not matter, as it is all digital, but some cheap knockoffs are just cheaply built and have defects.

IPS is not a magic property, if it is a cheap IPS panel, even some better TN panels can outshine them.