2013 15inch rMBP battery issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mannyo1221, Mar 3, 2016.

1. mannyo1221 macrumors member

I have a early 2013 15" rMBP (Quad Core i7, 512SSD, 16GB) with applecare that expires in June this year.

OSX version is 10.11.3

The problem I am having is intermittent but seems to be happening more often.

I can be using the macbook on battery with about 30-40% remaining and it will just go into sleep mode without warning.
    Pressing the power button I get the low battery warning, however if I plug in the AC power then the macbook comes back to life again showing 30-40% battery.

The macbook does not do this all the time, sometimes it will run all the way down to 4% before alerting me that I need to plugin.

Usage wise, the machine is used on AC power during office hours, and on battery during the evenings and first thing in the morning.

Coconut battery reports the battery at 80.3% health, with 598 load cycles and a max charge of 6805mAh. There are no alerts on the battery and it is reporting normal.

I've tried a SMC reset, it has made no different and she continues to go into sleep without any warning.

I know its nearly 3 years old, but given the odd behaviour what do you think the odds are on getting this sorted on applecare, given that apart from the early shutdown there are no indications that the battery requires replacement.

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34