2013/2014 RMBP BootCamp Windows 8.1 Temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nspells154, Mar 2, 2015.

1. nspells154 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I have been struggling (or so I think) with some peculiarities recently with my install of Windows 8.1 on my RMBP 2014 750m through bootcamp. Couple questions if I may, I tried to find other threads with these questions however to no avail did I succeed 100% in doing that... so i thought I would make an account and just post my own thread! HERE IT GOES

What are the normal operating temps for RMBP's under Win 8.1? Idle temps and max temps. Mine idles between 60-70 degrees Celsius which is hot to the touch, however in OS X it stays a pleasant warm 40-50 degrees Celsius. Is it normal to idle this hot? Even when I use programs such as Mac's fan control and force my fans to full speed, my temps stay in that relatively same range. I also forgot to mention that my CPU was only under a 1-5% load!!!

How do I make sure I installed Win 8.1 correctly. I believe that I did it properly, however with apple not supporting Win 8.1 for bootcamp initially, I used bits and pieces from lots of different guides across the web. My drive is formatted in NTFS and I believe that is is an EFI boot or something like that? Is there any other way to check and make sure I did it right? It seems to run just fine excluding the high idle temps.

How can I update my bootcamp version/windows version so that I can make sure that I have the current drivers etc?

Thanks all, please try to keep the hate to a minimum, it's my first time posting to a website like this and I tried to ask appropriate questions (sorry if they seem dumb to you).

I would really appreciate some help, and would be gracious to accept it, from what seems to be a good bunch of internet citizens here on MacRumors!!!

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

For latest Windows 8.1 Bootcamp drivers, if you haven't already, follow the instructions from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1720

It's most likely the graphics that's causing the temps to be higher in Windows 8.1 than OS X, especially if your CPU is only at 1-5% used. However, as far as I know, the NVIDIA chip is going to be active all the time in Windows.

You can try to disable visual effects in Windows, to see if that helps.
    1. Right-click on the start menu,
    2. Click on "System"
    3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
    4. Click on "Settings" button under the Performance section.
    5. Click on the radio button for "Adjust for best performance".
    6. Click OK.
    7. Click OK.

3. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! If I'm understanding this link correctly. All i have to do is download it and run it on my windows partition to update everything? Will this program erase my installation of windows? Or is it just going to update my drivers on the windows side of things?

Thanks

----------

Also, what will happen if I disable visual effects? What will change in terms of my use and what I see on the screen

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yes, that's correct. If you follow the instructions it will update the drivers. It will not wipe your Windows install.

The visual effects changes will just turn off things like what's shown in the attached pic.

You can pick and choose which ones you want to leave on. Just experiment with them to find what works best for you. It's all purely cosmetic, and won't have any affect on any applications that you use.

Attached Files:

5. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so would you say that it is safe to assume that my operating temps are normal?

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

7. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed that my computer is not under the recommended systems for the support software that you linked me to. I have a mid 2014 macbook pro. There is a link at the bottom of the page that you gave me, that takes me to Support Software version 5640, and that is compatible with late 2013 Macbook Pro.
    Should I be using the 5640 software instead of the 5621???

Thanks

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yes, use 5640. 5621 should work as well, but I didn't notice that Apple had released a newer build. Good catch.

9. Freyqq, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have the same computer. In 8.1, I idle at 50C (CPU proximity sensor). In osx, same sensor, I idle at 40C. It's probably entirely due to the 750M running in boot camp and not osx.

Take a look at macsfancontrol for boot camp, which lets you control the fans yourself and keep temps down.

10. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder why I idle hotter than you.. Mine usually sits around 60c

11. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Windows will always run hotter when installed under Boot Camp than OS X on the same machine. It has to do with two factors - the lack of comparable management capabilities to OS X and the inability of Windows to switch between the integrated and (if present) dedicated GPUs on the machines.