2013 27" iMac with i5 cpu upgradable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Badrottie, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I hope to get a 27' iMac next year but I looked at Apple website for base model which costs $1800 but that is for i5 3.2GHz, is it possible to upgrade to i7 in few months?

Thank you and Happy New Year! :apple:

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Possible? Yes…. Worth the pain in the butt to open up the iMac, risk damaging the display, the display cable, etc and then gluing it all back together? Probably not.

3. Truthfulie macrumors regular

The cost difference of base model and the built to order model with i7 is $400. It will cost you at least $300 to do that yourself. It's not worth the time and effort really.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, in a few months, you can upgrade to an i7 by selling the iMac that you have now, and purchasing another iMac with the processor that you want.

5. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I do not recommend opening up the iMac. As the others have said, it is possible but it would be extremely tough. It's an all in one so it is not meant to be easy to open up and tamper with.

It isn't worth saving a few bucks with that risk. You could break the iMac and that would void any Apple Care warranty on it so you would really be in trouble.

I highly recommend selling it and buying a newer one!

6. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

Thank you guys for replies. I looked at Apple online I could not find option to add i7 to 27" base model. That is why I asked. :apple:

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you're going to add the i7, why start with the base model?

8. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

I am going to start with base model with i5 and the total price close to $1968.00 included with AppleCare. :apple:

----------

I just started playing strategy games like The Sim 3, Civ 5, Empire Total War Gold Edition, and SimCity 5 on my 2012 rMBP 15" it runs good but I don't like it runs too hot and afraid it might damage logic board. :apple: