2013 27" ips glow & backlight bleed videos inside

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dublove, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dublove macrumors newbie

Concerned at my first real look at an IPS screen I decided to make a quick vid of my screen to see what everyone thinks.

This IPS screen in the iMac definitely has a very narrow viewing angle in all directions. I seem to have found the minute my eyes move from the centre axis of the screen by about 6inches (at around 2 feet away) then I start to see the supposed IPS panel phenomenons. Colours & gradients are gorgeous though!

So I took two quick videos. A pure black background. Screen at full brightness & one with screen at 40% (which is where I like it. I could never use the screen even at 60% brightness - it's too damn bright!)

Now its hard to video but I tried to set the camera exposure to show what I actually see with my own eyes, I can see very slightly more glow with my eyes at 40% brightness than what the camera picks up. And vice-versa at 100% brightness.

Below is a picture of the room with light exposure level to approximate what my own eyes see. This is the room lighting I made the videos above in, so ignore the screen in this pic, its not actually what you see in reality.

[​IMG]

Last pic is a still of the photo slides screensaver starting. The backlight bleed here in the lower right is representative of what my eyes see at that angle.

[​IMG]

So my question is this: Is this normal for this screen? Is this a good, average or bad one?
    Clearly IPS panels have problems when not looking at the screen head on, eyes at the centre axis. The glass screen does not help matters at at all. Even with the anti-reflective coating, you still get a 'sheen' from the glass.

I've until Wednesday (14 days) to call Applecare for an exchange. I should add that this screen has zero image retention and no dead pixels either...

What do we think?

thanks jay

2. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Your statement is a proof of evidence!

Several iMac customers believe: "there is an acceptable level of risk when you buy an 27'' iMac"...That means, there is a "low risk level" to buy an 27'' iMac with LG monitor...

Do you enjoy to replace "under warranty" iMacs till you get a good one?

I am wondering....

Read this link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1509571

there are many others..(i.e. yellowish, IR, light bleeding, ghosting etc....check around!) :cool:

3. MikeChicago macrumors member

Jay,

I think you've got a beautiful panel and I personally see no issues with it. IPS displays behave this way in a typical use and mine is the say way. It's a trade off. The bleeding on a black screen is offset by vibrant and accurate color throughout the display. You also get a better viewing angle than a traditional LCD.

In the end, you have to ask yourself if this is something you're happy with. The decision is yours, but I would encourage you to keep and enjoy your machine.

4. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Your decision isn't correct! Photos present a serious light bleeding problem and the owner should return it "under warranty". IPS technology suffers from many problems but this isn't a minor issue to accept....this is my opinion.

Read similar problems in other threads by 27'' iMac owners...

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

Panel looks great to me. The black off-axis brightness is inherent in all the iMac panels, and if you've got no image retention or other issues, that really looks VERY good.

DO NOT exchange it. If anything, buy a second from the store if you don't believe me (14 days to return it). But if you have a good panel like this, you'll not want to give it up.

Just my $0.02.

6. dublove thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting guys, thanks for the comments.

I thought of a simple trick to show the difference between ips glow/sheen & backlight bleed. Simply take two sheets of opaque paper hold them on the screen and use them to create a 'corner' frame anywhere on the screen. Try right in the middle. Move your viewing angle and you'll see the ups glow/sheen exactly the same as in each physical corner of the screen. Strange huh, because when looking at the same spot without the paper frame you don't see it.

:)

7. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

I haven't seen that bad of backlight bleed except in really cheap panels. I'd exchange until you get a good one.

8. MikeChicago macrumors member

Weird, indeed.

I haven't tried it, but I get the impressing that you are slightly OCD and maybe looking a little too hard to find problems with the display. I can relate though. The only suggestion I have is to relax and have a drink. Tomorrow the screen will look much better :D

9. aznboi91 macrumors regular

I'd like to track where shipments are coming from where iMac's are having prooblems. Mine is coming from Fremont California.

What about yours?

10. dublove thread starter macrumors newbie

Well mine came from Ireland as i'm in the UK.

I went into the Apple Store today to quickly check out the iMac displays there. Well the one on display was much better. It had the tinniest bit of bleed in the bottom left but i mean tiny. It is rather well lit in the store though.

BUT at 100% brightness it was better than mine at 40%!

So now that i've seen the light (of lack of it on the store model) I called Applecare when I got home - they want me to bring the iMac down to the store... We'll see what they say.

11. WilliamG macrumors G3

What you're seeing in store is not at all representative of what you see at home. Ambient light hides bleed VERY well.

You're more than welcome to try exchanging it etc etc, but I can't help but think it's not worth it, going by the pictures you posted.

12. aznboi91 macrumors regular

I think my question really becomes... how did you get your screen to do that... :/

13. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

My iMac 2013 does the same thing. Doesn't really bother me much.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Absolute perfectionists would be bothered very much, even the tiniest flaw doesn't escape their observation :)