2013 Air - No HDMI Audio

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I have a 2013 11" MacBook Air 10.8.5. Using the Mini Display Port connected to my TV via an HDMI adaptor there is video but No Audio. System Preferences->Sound->Output does not show any TV's.

Is there a solution? Thanks

(I also have a late 2008 MacBook Pro that has this same problem but it's my understanding audio is not supported on the earlier models, but it should be on the 2013 Air)

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
The issue is your adaptor dosnt carry the audio signal. You need the belkin thunderbolt to hdmi dongle. I have one and it works perfectly.
Hi Gav2k. Sorry, not sure what you mean or which laptop your referring to.

The one for the MacBook Pro supposedly works by combing the video signal of the Mini Port with the audio of the USB into an HDMI cable.

Last edited:

reundo

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014

The one for the MacBook Pro supposedly works by combing the video signal of the Mini Port with the audio of the USB into an HDMI cable.
For the macbook air listed in the OP, you are going to need the first adapter you have listed. As stated above, the reason you can't get sound now is because the DVI adapter doesn't support it.

I used a mini-display port to DVI and then DVI to hdmi for the longest time with my 2011 macbook air. I just had to turn the speakers all the way up to be able to hear it. The mini-display port to hdmi was well worth cost, once I finally got it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Sorry if I confused you. The mini display port was retasked and renamed a couple of years ago. It's now known as a thunderbolt port.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP678