2013 Air to have Retina display?

atMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I'm skipping the 2012 Air since I have a 2011 and I'm debating getting a 2013 when its released. Can anyone guess at the likely hood that the 2013 Air will have a retina display?or at least a 1080p resolution?

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
100%, guaranteed, retina display.
I'm not so sure. With the possibility of a 13 inch rMBP I can see Apple needing some differentiation between the 13" rMBP and the Air, after all, they won't have the optical drive / expandablity to tout as a difference.

If they add a retina screen to the Air they'll have to up the battery capacity, more than likely that would involve removing the wedge. At that point it'll be a case of "well done Apple, you just invented another MBP."

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
100%, guaranteed, retina display.
Without a new battery technology, highly doubt it. What they are going to make, IMO, is a 13-inch pro with retina display.

And the Air will still be the same Air. Maybe with an IPS display. Or one of those IGZO displays from Sharp that sound so promising.

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Without a new battery technology, highly doubt it. What they are going to make, IMO, is a 13-inch pro with retina display.

And the Air will still be the same Air. Maybe with an IPS display. Or one of those IGZO displays from Sharp that sound so promising.
haswell is supposed to help a lot with battery life but I agree, i just wonder how they'd differentiate the 2 lines if MBAs go retina....

i love my 2010 11" MBA. bought and returned the 2012 MBAs with the thought of maybe upgrading if 13" retina MBP is released. but i may just be patient and wait til the 2013 revisions with haswell -- better graphics, battery and more app support, etc. just love the 11" form factor...

would also hope by 2013 apple would be ready to go to ips or igzo for the 11" MBA - i mean i know apple's been known to use old tech
but using 3+ year old display tech is a bit much for a company that prides in having great displays in its gadgets

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
The 13" Pro can take a design cue from the current RMBP and accomodate a larger battery, but unless Apple is willing to make the Air take on a larger wedge current battery technology can't accommodate Air's existing dimension along with a retina display while maintaining respectable battery life.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Can anyone guess at the likely hood that the 2013 Air will have a retina display?or at least a 1080p resolution?
See how pointless it is to ask questions like this?

Last edited:

twintin

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
My guess is an IPS panel is possible, but with same or similar resolution and gamut as in present MBAs. Higher resolution and gamut as in present retina displays is most likely preserved for the pro version.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I agree. Eventually all Macs will have retina displays, but for the forseeable future (one to two years) it will be the key differentiator between the consumer and pro lines.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
No one can say for certain since we do not know how much battery technology will improve in a year's time. I wouldn't think so though.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
I think putting a RD in an Air would push the unit cost price up too much, I paid £1250 for my Air and i'm sure a RD would put another few hundred quid on the price of that.

Apple needs to stay in competition with the likes of the Samsung Series 9 etc.

Beau10

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown San Diego
haswell is supposed to help a lot with battery life but I agree, i just wonder how they'd differentiate the 2 lines if MBAs go retina....
Like how they differentiated them before they went Retina up until just a few months ago? There still are regular pros, 13" and 15" on the market. Don't really think this argument factors at all, and in fact, I think it would be weird for Apple to have a 2 year span between their laptop lines on such a key feature that is already ubiquitous on their iOS lines.

As far as power, not only is Haswell much more efficient, but the GPU power will be roughly 2.5x to handle the extra pixels - not ideal, but in the ballpark for acceptability. If Apple can free up a bit more internal space with smaller components/packaging and get another 10-15% in battery they probably can at least achieve a device that gets battery life similar to the 2k11 models while retaining the same form factor. Considering this is a full year away I don't think that's an insurmountable challenge.

They could launch this the same way they launched the rMBP... at a higher price bracket while updating the rest of the line at regular res, and then likely in a generation or two drop the regular devices and bring the cost down.

Last edited:

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm skipping the 2012 Air since I have a 2011 and I'm debating getting a 2013 when its released. Can anyone guess at the likely hood that the 2013 Air will have a retina display?or at least a 1080p resolution?
More than likely not in the near future. If the MBA got a Retina display, what would differentiate it from the rMBP?

vodkaPT

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I really doubt.

The expected haswell GPU will not be enough to handle properly a retina display.
Up on that add battery issues and price rise.

But lets wait and see what apple will do.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I really doubt.

The expected haswell GPU will not be enough to handle properly a retina display.
Up on that add battery issues and price rise.

But lets wait and see what apple will do.
If the curent Ivy Bridge can handle two Thunderbolt displays why can't the Haswell handle a retina?