2013 AirPort Extreme Needed? Help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lupend88, Jun 16, 2013.

1. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

So here's my situation...

My ISP's package that I have advertises speeds of 12-25 mbps. I average 21, but on occasion I exceed 25 (just barely, like 25.38). I'm currently renting their Router Modem combo (which I've read is one of the worst) for $7/month.

First of all, how is that possible to exceed their advertised limit? And second of all, does that mean I don't need a new router like an AirPort Extreme? I've only been looking into one because my AirPlay Speakers (Beoplay A8) requires lots of bandwidth and occasionally cuts out.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

2. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I always recommend to my family and friends to insist on a modem only from the ISP. Depending on their budget a airport express or Extreme/TC.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Some ISP's allow a "speed boost" for the 1st few seconds of a large download. It's not uncommon for some to see a 5-10% gain in speed for 3-4 seconds, the download speed usually levels out by the end back to or under your advertised speed.

I keep my ISP's modem because if they release a newer model within a year or mine dies I can get it for free.
    I've already had one die out, ISP replaced, and a new model came out, ISP replaced within 18 months.
    If I buy a modem for $80-100 it takes at least a year of using it before it pays for itself, then if a newer model comes out and you want it, do it all over again.

If you're modem allows you to consistently receive your advertised speeds then I see no benefit for buying a different kind. If you're paying for 25 and receiving 10 I would complain to the ISP via their Facebook page, they usually have reps on there that will jump immediately due to your negative comments.

Do you NEED a 2012 AEBS? If you want to drop $200 on something just to have it, go for it. Or you can be patient and find 5th gen models on ebay for around $50 shipped. I found 3 for around that price.

4. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Thanks a lot. My next step will be to call my ISP and ask if they have any modems for me to use instead of modem/routers. Can the Airport Extreme be hooked up to a modem/router or does it only work with just a modem?

----------

Makes sense about the modem. I'll call my ISP and see what they have. Thank you!

My only reason for getting a 2013 AEBS would be the ease of not having to update for a very long time. I could probably stretch 6 years out of this guy, the ac technology will be nice to have as future iPhones and other devices become compatible. Plus my BeoPlay A8 (AirPlay speakers) must require a lot of bandwidth because I notice considerable speed changes when it's streaming audio, and sometimes it cuts out. If this new AEBS makes my BeoPlay A8 keep from cutting out, I will be thrilled.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Streaming audio is well within the capabilities of most any router.

It doesn't even need wireless N, let alone AC. Your problem may lie elsewhere.

6. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Well then maybe it's the increase in range with the AirPort Extreme that would make an improvement. I would like to think that it's not my router, but I'm pretty certain it is based off past experience.

In my old home my AirPlay speakers were having a shaky connection until we bought the 5th gen AirPort Extreme. After I moved out, my friend kept the AirPort Extreme. So in my new place, with the modem/router combo provided by my ISP, I'm having problems again. I can't help but point my finger at the router, right?

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yes, I probably would. If it's wireless G, and there's other traffic going on, it well could be to blame.

My parents' place in Florida has ATT Uverse and quite a speedy Internet connection. I couldn't figure out why I was having such a problem streaming video until I checked and discovered the router was Wireless G.