2013 for $600 vs 2015 for $799

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by davekro, Dec 22, 2015.

1. davekro macrumors regular

davekro

Looking for base model i5 4 Gb RAM 128 SSD MacBook 13".
    My use does not really need the faster processor Or the better graphics card of the 2015. Is the new trackpad leaps and bounds better than the previous trackpad?

For my limited use of this laptop, it's my second machine, I really hope to get one for around $500, But when I switched to wanting a 2013 Instead of A 2012, The going rate for a 2013 seems to be $600 +.

Is there any significant reason to jump my cost up yet again another $200 to get a 2015? I just came out of Best Buy where they have the 13 inch or $200 off $799. 11 inch still at the regular price Of $899

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

The 2013 has much longer battery life, much faster wifi and a much faster SSD than a 2012, so you were wise to set your sights on that. I have a maxxed out 2013 11" MBA. I am quite content and doubt that I'd see any noticeable difference on a 2015.

So I'm sure you'd be happy with the 2013 performance wise, but you really can't compare a new machine to one that's been used for two or three years. The battery is going to die two or three years sooner on the 2013 and IIRC that costs around $150 to replace. And you get a one year warranty on the new one. Personally, I would pay the $200 premium for a new one.

Now if you could get an Apple factory refurb 2013, that would be nice but I don't think they still offer those.

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

4. davekro, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

davekro thread starter macrumors regular

davekro

I read IFixit, that batteries in the 2013 or easily DIY replaceable. And that they cost $49 - $65 For a new Apple Battery. I'm on the road and going to look at that 2013. This is kind of a skittish issue, but this 2013 comes with Microsoft Office 2011 and Adobe cs6 installed. I need Microsoft Office CSCS 6 is over my head but handy to have

Let me know what you think about battery replacement on the 2013. I'll definitely check the cycle count on this unit.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Looks like battery replacement is $129 if you take it to Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macnotebooks

So will the original owner actually uninstall Office and Adobe from his own computers and transfer the license to you? If so, that might be a good deal. But if he is going to keep using them himself, then it's illegally copied software, which isn't any different from stealing it somewhere else. ;)

But you are still comparing a computer that has been used a long time to a new one with warranty. My 2013 MBA has seen some heavy use and wouldn't pass for new. I don't think anything is wrong with it, but it's two and a half years closer to the scrap heap than a new 2015 model. :D

6. davekro thread starter macrumors regular

davekro

He said the guy he bought it from have the battery replaced by Apple. He didn't advertise that because he didn't have proof of it. I checked system preferences for battery cycles. It showed two cycles! That sold me an I bought it.

What is the claim to fame of the new track pad over the one on the 2013 MB air?

7. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I assuming that those copies are unlicensed to you. If they are, you really shouldn't use them, and you will find issues trying to update them in the future.

Lou

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Get open item at Best Buy. It's $727