2013 i7 2.8 vs 2014 i7 2.6

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColdCase, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ColdCase, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've searched but just can't seem to lay a finger on a post or thread here, or perhaps a review page that can help me assess video editing performance difference between the top of the line early 2013 BTO 15" rMBP 2.8 Ghz i7 quad core with discrete graphics vs a new top of the line 15" rMBP 2.6 GHz quad core with discrete graphics.... GHz not being everything.

I'm just trying to decide whether to give my year old rMBP to my daughter to replace her stolen laptop, and replace mine with a new performance model, or to just buy her a new "standard" performance model. Not a whole lot of a price difference, but enough to think about it being worthwhile.

I love the year old rMBP but if the new one has a noticeable performance boost when processing/editing/transcoding video (an perhaps run cooler) it may be something to think about. Think handbrake running full tilt on all cores for an hour, and then another hour processing the video with compressor.

I don't care about how long it will run on battery.... the most important thing to me is how well compressor and handbrake run on it and, to a lesser extent, FCP and iMovie. Oh and the 2103 gets quite warm when driving an external HD display, it would be nice not to have to deal with toasty fingers :) .

Note I just found this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1681479

and this:

http://www.barefeats.com/rmbpc1.html

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Haswell with Video editing

For the most part, the difference isn't really that big, but video editing is actually one of the points where Haswell took it's biggest leaps (or rather encoding/transcoding/decoding)

My guess is that you're looking at approximately 15% on both the GPU and the CPU. (Handbrake probably being like 17% faster or so).

*Note that all of this is qualified guesswork, and I have not tested any of these machines

3. Joelist macrumors member

The quantum jump in SSD speed will also figure in here as will the new GPU.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Excellent point

Excellent point! Didn't even consider the move to PCIe based storage.