2013 i7 iMac, can't boot external USB-e drive

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5GHz. I created a clone on an external Seagate UBS-3 drive. The cloned external drive will not boot using a USB-3 cable, but it will using a USB-2 cable. The drive works fine as a USB-3 drive if I boot from the internal drive.

Is there an incompatibility between these iMac models and external USB-e drives, as far as a boot drive goes?

Thank you!

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Mavericks, on a 2010 MBP, 27" 2009 iMac & 15" 2013 MBP. No problem on any of them.
Thank you. ANyone with a 2013 iMac i7 being able to boot from an external UBS-3 drive? I know they are **supposed** to work, but I would like a direct report. Thanks!

Comment

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Thank you. ANyone with a 2013 iMac i7 being able to boot from an external UBS-3 drive? I know they are **supposed** to work, but I would like a direct report. Thanks!
Yeah, I can boot from mine, no sweat. (3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4GB GTX780M).

I think you should do a clean install and check whether the problem still persists or not.

Comment

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Update

Yeah, I can boot from mine, no sweat. (3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4GB GTX780M).

I think you should do a clean install and check whether the problem still persists or not.
It turns out the problem is drive-specific. I created a clone on a different drive (Toshiba , USB-3) and it worked. The drive in trouble is a Seagate 3TB, the one that works a 2TB, I am not sure if that makes a difference.

As I said, the Seagate will boot using a USB-2 cable, so the problem is not with the format or file system.

Comment

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Have you tried using different USB 3 cables?

What about different USB ports on the Mac?
I can confirm that the problem is the external Seagate 3TB drive, which does not boot on USB-3. An external WD 2TB clone boots regularly on USB-3. The Seagate WILL boot with a USB-2 cable and will work regularly with a USB-3 cable, except that it will not boot. Something to do with the extra capacity, perhaps?

Anyway, I have swapped drives, the Seagate is now my Time Machine drive and the WD my clone.

Thank you all for your advice!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.