2013 iMac (27") and Devil's Canyon CPUs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dhazeghi, Jul 4, 2014.

1. dhazeghi macrumors member

Title pretty much says it all. Has anybody tried putting a new Devil's Canyon CPU in the 2013 iMac (27")?

Mainly interested on account of the new Devil's Canyon i7 4790k (4.0GHZ base, 4.4GHZ turbo. IIRC the over clocking potential is wasted since the iMac lacks any software to set that up (and thermals would be compromised) but it'd still be a tidy 25% clock increase over the base i5 4570 that Apple offers, and perhaps worth the time/effort.

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I would think it would be more likely to work using the non-unlocked one (the non K model) - the 4790, since the TDP of that package is the same at the ones Apple is currently using.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

In the past no K series CPU's have worked in an iMac. Like Joe mentioned though, the non-K version may work.

The 4790 will give you a 100MHz bump over the current 4771 offered in the iMac.

4. dhazeghi thread starter macrumors member

I see - well there goes that idea then. A couple hundred MHZ isn't exciting enough to try the experiment. Too bad.

I'm a little surprised Apple themselves aren't offering the 4790K as a CTO option since it gives them bragging rights (4GHZ!) and a meaningful speed boost in benchmarks.

5. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I don't think anyone with an apple computer cares too much about bragging rights for raw component speed.

Custom build yourself something and than brag away.

6. dhazeghi thread starter macrumors member

Apple used to do quite a bit of bragging - benchmarks about how much faster their new models were than their old ones and so forth. I guess that's died down now that CPU progress has stagnated, but I can't imagine they'd object too much.

More to the point, they could easily charge a $200 premium over the current high-end CTO Mac (the i7 4771) for a machine that's 12% faster, and costs them less than $100 more to make. Seems like good business.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Maybe. But maybe accomodating that chip in support, bulk purchasing, heat, etc etc isn't worth that possible $200.