2013 iMac (3 weeks old) grey/fingerprint-like smudges ''behind'' the screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jamie123, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Jamie123 macrumors newbie

Just wondering what to do about this/if i'm seeing things/whats going on. So, i've had my new imac for 3 weeks, yet today I notice in the bottom right and left of the screen there is a grey smudgey mark; akin to a finger print, or the kind of impression that you get if the lamination is coming off a car windscreen, but very faint. Easily noticeable if you put a white background on.

So... what to do? Is this common?

2. stevefo macrumors regular

stevefo

Does it bother you?

YES=Return it!!!!!!

NO=Forget about it!

3. anisatam macrumors member

I would ask for a replacement to be honest. You have paid a huge amount of money for this and a manufacturing fault shouldn't be acceptable.
    Thats what I would do.

4. Sophia. macrumors member

Sophia.

I would have it checked out, this is the first I've heard about it with the new iMacs but the older models had similar problems. Dust getting in behind the glass etc. It was easily cleaned the glass was only held in place with magnets but I have no idea if this is still the case with the newer models.

One of the reasons I would not purchase another iMac or All-in-One system. Screen problems = returning the machine rather than just the display. :mad:

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Picture please.. it might be the old typical "smudged iMac display" display .. but it could be not. Let's check the pattern.

So, picture please?

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

7. Jamie123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure it isn't outside. See picture below, its small and the picture doesn't make it look as bad and noticeable as it is. I've phoned Apple and they said they'll replace the screen, but they haven't heard of this happening on new models (aye, right).

Attached Files:

8. anisatam macrumors member

That looks very wierd indeed. Glad you decided to have it replaced

9. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Yeah, get it replaced. Apple charges premium prices for their hardware. So, in return you should want PERFECT products.

10. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I hope this is not an chronic old problem surfacing again in new hardware. People had this issue with the older 2012 to 2010 iMacs in the past.

11. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Please no one find one of these that looks like Jesus and then say that its some higher power deciding to communicate through manufacturing defects...

12. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i suppose it could be the lamination. i wonder if it would go away if you massaged it with the dust free cloth for a few minutes. worth a shot anyway

13. New2012MacForMe macrumors member

I had something similar that I posted about months ago. My smudges were much smaller and looked more like small bubbles. I tried what the last member suggested - pressing firmly with my finger and rubbing the areas affected. After 7 or 8 firm rubs, the smudges/bubbles were gone. They have not returned in 3 months. If everything else is working great, try it before you return it.

14. Johnf1285, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but how hard did you push and where were the smudges/delamination areas located? Just curious, as I am unsure how strong the glass is on the 2012/2013 models.

15. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

My 2010 iMac had the same thing after a year or so I finally got it fixed. It's no big deal it's up to you if you feel like dragging it to an apple store to get it replaced.