2013 iMac for video/photo editing.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheBeastman13, Oct 3, 2014.

1. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

Hi,

I plan to get a 2013 iMac and max it out in hopes of having it around for the next five years.

I plan to do video editing as well as photography tweaks.

I'll be looking to run Adobe software(PP, Ps, Ae[maybe]), as well as Final Cut Express 4(for my projects I've been working on during school these last few years). Any other recommendations that I should look into?

Also, I intend to use the iMac solely for editing. Wifi will be turned off, extraneous programs deleted(advice on which programs I can safely delete that are just taking up space?), etc.

Thanks for the impending advice and tips. Much appreciated!

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

You can install os X again and don't install the languages and all the printer drivers. Or if your comfortable doing this, deleting them from the library.

As the rumours goes that updates are around the corner, this month, I would wait. Offcourse a 2013 iMac is fast enough for anything you'll throw at it, bit wait a few weeks to see what a 2014 iMac offers.

3. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with waiting, but the only good I see coming from news of '14 iMacs is lower '13 prices. It'll be interesting to see what comes, though.

I'm skeptical of being an early adopter of new systems. I like to wait for the kinks to be worked out and get a machine that is optimal. I cringe at the thought of how many 360s i went through that bricked in the beginning, or the iOS problems of 7 and 8 when they respectively released. Plus, all I seeing coming is more dollar signs for these new machines. I have to take a loan out to get this thing, the last thing I need is to need more dinero. Haha

4. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

What were you doing to them? I had a 360 from day one and it lasted me a good 6 years.

5. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a "launch system" that lasted about six months before I got the RRoD. My replacement system bricked with the RRoD after two months. My third system survived (somehow) two RRoDs, but kept ticking over the long haul for a few years before I sold the system to a friend so I could pay my bills.

6. gab0.1992 macrumors member

I bought the 2013 model in December last year. I maxed out with the GPU i7 and ssd from Apple. Then I added 32gb 1866 from my own. I use it exactly for what you will be using. Also it's my home media center and personal Mac. Deleting all useless programs and stuff it will not get better performance maybe some but that's all. I have it with almost the HDD full(256gb) and it keep reading and writing 700+Mbps. AE sometimes gone slow. PS hardcore editing it's amazing. Premiere works like a charm. Also I run Lr and works without a problem. The 32gb of ram it's the best you can invest. I had work with more than 10 apps open and it never freeze. I recently opened myself and add a 3tb Hard drive for library stuff. It's a beast. If you wait for the new model maybe you will get an retina display on it. If not, you will not regret the investment.

Also add an external ssd for sratch disk and all of the editing apps will work much faster and smooth and also you will not run out of space. Other tip, if you can get a 512gb ssd or the 1tb go for it, right now I'm thinking of bought one on eBay to add more storage.

Hope I can helped you. Good luck!