2013 iMac i5 vs i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Djtrackie, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Djtrackie macrumors member

Just to be clear, is the:

i5 3.4ghz = 3670k and the 3.5 i7 = 4770k?

2. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

3. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Spot on.

More info here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7365/apple-updates-the-imac-haswell-cpus-pcie-ssds-80211ac-wifi

4. Djtrackie thread starter macrumors member

5. blanka macrumors 68000

Main difference remains: 4 threaded vs 8 threaded machines AKA almost twice as fast on CPU heavy stuff

6. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Definitely no where near twice as fast. Think 5-10% unless heavily threaded in which case maybe 50% faster.

7. whistler222 macrumors 6502

Does lightroom/photoshop/Handbrake take advantage of the hyperthreading?

8. Bear macrumors G3

Handbrake yes, currently no on the other 2.

9. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

I would venture to guess that Adobe CS6 (specifically Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop) do take advantage of hyperthreading. Right?

Edit: oops, you already said Photoshop. Same for other Adobe products, do you know?

10. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

To verify the difference in general speed you should head over to geekbench and compare the scores.

However, to answer your question, we should ask you a question. What are you using your computer for?

I have an i7 iMac and I have a little utility called MenuMeters that shows CPU utilization. 90% of the time I am only hitting 5% to 10% across the 8 cores. But if I run Handbrake, they all ping out and it flies through an encode in no time.

But I only do that once in a while.

It's kind of like saying should I get a Lexus or a Ferrari? If you are only going to drive on city streets, a Lexus is fine because you couldn't take advantage of a Ferrari's speed on city streets. But if you plan to race on a track, then the Ferrari will kick the crap out of the Lexus.

But some people can afford a Ferrari and don't care that they never really use its power. Other people prefer a Lexus since it is cheaper and has more power than they typically will need.

So, i5 will get most normal computer use done without breaking a sweat. But if you are going to hammer your processor with serious work, get the i7.

11. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

I batch encode a few dozen video files most weeks. And also need to render effects/ color correction while editing. Which takes a while for my Mid 2010 i3 iMac to take care of. So definitely the i7. ;) Which is what I was planning in the first place, I was just curious how the Adobe suite handled it.