2013 iMac Prices

Discussion in 'iMac' started by benjamwes, Jun 27, 2013.

1. benjamwes macrumors member

I am (finally :D) able to get an iMac soon and was going to go for an upgraded 21.5", as I can just about afford that, but all this talk of a new iMac soon is making me think of waiting. Anyone have any idea how much the prices would change?
    I'm only waiting for a GPU upgrade so should I just buy one now? :)
    Thanks!

2. Bear macrumors G3

Prices as discussed in other very recent should be just about the same.

3. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Prices will most likely be the same or damn close to it.

How much of a GPU improvement are you looking at over the current models?

4. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

The US dollar is improving against most currencies. So if Apple keeps the price points like normal then International prices will rise next release.

Apple might use the dollar improvement to drop US prices in order to keep international prices closer to current but even so expect a mild rise on the next product refreshes outside US.

5. Serban Suspended

It is simple. Wait for refresh because if they do after august, we also will see retina imac, yes with some 200-300$ more for all models. The gpu will be improved as well at least for 21.5" high model you will have at least 750M with 1Gb vRam

6. Bear macrumors G3

I kind of doubt we'll see a Retina iMac this year. Based on the SSD change in the MacBook Air, we'll also see SSD speed improvements.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't expect prices to change that much for the new (and as yet unreleased) 2013 iMacs. I also don't think we'll see a retina based iMac, but rather a silent upgrade to the haswell chipset.

8. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone. So do you think the 650M 512MB VRAM in the 2012 model is good for video editing and some gaming? :)

(With i7, 1TB Fusion and 16GB RAM)

9. Bear macrumors G3

How much video editing and what games?

10. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

Quite a bit of video editing with Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Speedgrade and Cinema 4D and whatever it will run for gaming (mostly 'light' gaming but I'd like to try to get ARMA 3 working).

11. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

Err... no.

The 650m is a good card for middle of the road computing, but for rendering it doesn't have nearly enough of power or video ram for the job if your renderer use GPU optimisation like CUDA. Of course it will do fine for light gaming like angry birds or such.

12. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok, I was under the impression that the card was much better than that. I think I'll just go for the 2012 model anyway as I have a friend who has a 2011 one and his works fine for games, and I can't afford anything better for video editing. Thanks for the help :D

13. mmcgann11 macrumors newbie

One hopes that the 680MX is better for video editing -- i run Final Cut Pro X and Motion. Planning to go with top end 27-inch, with 768 SSD and 32 GB RAM. And yes, I'll have USB 3.0 external drives...and maybe a RAID.

I have no doubt it can handle my more boring tasks with InDesign/Photoshop...but the video thing has me slightly worried.

14. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

I've heard the 680 is good for video editing. I would get it but I can't afford it! :p

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get the 21.5" with an i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive and the 650M graphics card and buy some USB 3.0 external hard drives when I need them.