2013 iMac Question.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NbinHD, Jun 26, 2013.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Ive read a couple of posts were people are starting to believe that the new 2013 iMac's, especially the 21.5'' will feature a 1gb GPU. What do you guys think? Is it a possibility and should i wait for it, and if there was to be a Apple event in July, when likely would it be as a guestiment? Thanks guys.

2. Bear macrumors G3

The truth is, no one knows for sure (except a few people at Apple) when the new iMac update will be. And the same for what will be in the updated iMacs. All we have is guesses, some of them likely to happen based on past experience These guesses are discussed in a few other threads here.

Also, unless there is something major to announce, there is unlikely to be an event for an iMac update. For some Mac updates, the Apple Store just gets updated one day quietly. We should have at least a weeks notice for an Apple event.

As for the question of should you wait for it, that depends on what your current situation is. If you need a new computer now, get it. Only you can decide how long you can wait before buying an iMac.

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

There's far, far more to a GPU than just RAM. I'd imagine the new iMac will have the 7xx series GPU's.

4. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive got a 13'' Macbook Pro at the moment so im not in that much of a rush. That said, if there is no release of a new iMac by the end of July, ill just buy a 2012 model and live with it, and if the 2013 release is that much of a upgrade, ill sell the 2012 and buy the 2013. Hmmmmm.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think many people are waiting for the haswell chipset because the GPU is supposed to be much faster. The anandTech review of the MBA states otherwise. I'm hoping the lack of a huge increase in the GPU is related to the fact that the MBA is using the ULV variant of the Haswell chipset.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Except that in an iMac there are currently discreet GPUs so the Haswell integrated graphics may not matter for the iMac.

7. Serban, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

Serban Suspended

they will and they should make a upgrade for imac for wifi ac, for the cpu(less importent for a desktop, but sill), for 7xxM series and for PCIe, if they did it for the retina macbook just for a 100mhz i think for better wifi, better GPU, better HDD and a little better cpu that is a must do.

And probably retina. If the past is an evidence..then in 2010 retina for 3.5" screen, in the beginning of 2012 retina for 9.7" screen and in mid 2012 for 15" screen. So almost in every 1 and a half year a bigger retina screen is made. So, from mid 2012 until now passed a year....do the math (based on apples history). I think if they don't upgrade the imac until July-August, the next upgrade will include a better display aswell

8. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i just hope they do it in July.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know, but whenever someone mentions Haswell's performance increase, the CPU slightly faster but the GPU itself is purported to be much faster.

10. Serban Suspended

what are you saying? that the haswell cpu is just a little faster but the GPU is much faster

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, that's been the reports, the CPU is only seeing a minor increase in performance yet the GPU was reported to be much faster.

12. Serban Suspended

hmm where can i read this? you mean GPU or integrated graphics like HD4000 vs HD5000?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The iMac has a discrete GPU, so the integrated graphics do not really matter. The performance of Haswell is a bit faster than Ivy Bridge, but in real world terms you won't notice any difference.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know, I'm just making a point that the biggest improvement in the Haswell chipset appears to be related to the GPU (which the iMac doesn't use)

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The biggest improvement is that it's far more energy efficient which is great for mobile devices, but of no real importance to Desktop machines seeing as they are plugged in 24/7.

Not all Haswell CPU's have the HD 5000 or IRIS graphics though, a lot of Ultrabooks seem to go with the HD 4400 or 4600 which gives about a 10% to 15% boost over Ivy Bridge's HD 4000.

17. Mac32, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Yes, so you have a CPU upgrade (which main focus is laptops and ultraportables) that will possibly give you 10% more performance, which is not really noticable - unless you run very demanding work on your iMac all the time.
    Also the 780M is just a rebranded GTX680/680MX graphics chip, if Apple decides to use this card. Yes, you'll get 4GB of VRAM, but the GPU performance will be a much bigger issue anyway in 1400p with the upcoming games. If you're waiting for a 780MX, remember that the new GTX780 is a more power hungry card, and thus produce more heat. This is a problem with the slim, closed design of the iMac. As such an 780MX needs to be underclocked quite a bit more than the 680MX (vs GTX680).
    Because of limited performance upgrades for the iMac this year, Apple might wait with releasing the next iMac model until Thunderbolt 2 is available. As such you could end up waiting for several months. As always, buy now if you need it now...

The only real improvement IMO is the new PCIe SSD, but again has anyone done a comparison in terms of IOPS and real life performance improvement?

18. wmy5 macrumors regular

Do you believe there is a 780MX? What will it be, a under-clocked GK110?

----------

for sure:

Haswell CPU
    Kepler GT/GTX 7xxM Graphics
    802.11ac WiFi
    PCIe Flash Storage Options

possible:

Thunderbolt 2

not possible:

retina display

19. Serban Suspended

if the refresh is after September there will be retina imac upgrade.
    don't forget that products of apple since 2010 started to have retina...3.5" , 9.7"(double screen size), after that for 15" for macbooks. so in 2 and a half years they put retina in iphones/ipods/ipads/macbooks...so there is already a year since no improvements on retina have been made.

20. cmanderson macrumors regular

cmanderson

The chip in the MBA is power constrained, so the GPU is crippled due to this limitation.

21. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

This is absolutely hilarious. IF we'll see a retina 27" display this year, I guarantee it will not be on an iMac, as the price would increase vehemently.

"Do the math"...

22. Serban, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

Serban Suspended

everybody did the math.. 21.5" will start from 1499 or 1599$ and base 27" will start from 2199$...