2013 iMac refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EADGBE, Nov 5, 2013.

1. EADGBE macrumors newbie

Hi, new here and this is my first post, although I've been lurking and reading.

I'm about to pull the trigger in my first Mac, having been a Windows user since 3.1 (!). Yeah, I know....late to the party :D.

Anyway, I'd really like to buy refurbished, and ideally I'd like the latest iteration. Has anyone noticed whether the 2013 models have appeared in the refurb store yet?

I'm tempted to snag a 2012 but I'd prefer a '13.

2. davey1107 macrumors newbie

2013 iMac refurbished

Hello,

I've bought several refurb iMacs through Apple through my company - good way to get a discount and we've had nothing but perfect performance from these.

I've watched the offerings on the last 3-4 iMac releases. In my opinion, Apple "holds" the newer model refurbs until their stock on older is low. The 21" models tend to pop up for 20% off retail about 90 days after release. 27" models seem to take longer, the 2012s came out in October but I didn't see refurbs until spring.

For those looking for a deal who can watch the apple store religiously, there is sometimes a "sweet spot" for a VERY short time where both models appear, with the oldest model even more discounted. In the last round, I believe that the 2012 27" popped up at 20% off and there were 2011s for 35% off for 3-4 days. We jumped on this and grabbed the $1799 base 27" for a little under $1200.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hey, welcome to MacRumours; and welcome to the world of Apple! Refurbs are definitely a good way to save a pretty penny. However, if you can, try go the education route. If you know anybody in higher education (University is the best one), you'll save a sweet 15% on the RRP AND get free 3-year hardware warranty with it (exactly the same as AppleCare, except you only get 90 days worth of phone support with the education, and 3-years phone support with AC.)

So I'd definitely consider that route before sinking cash on a refurb; add the hardware warranty and you'll be saving much more compared to refurb units. :)