Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshua1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
Hi everyone,

I was rather hoping that someone would be able to help me. I have just aquired a 21.5" iMac however there appears to be black/white streaks coming from the bottom corners.

Does anyone have an idea on what could have caused this and is it possible to resolve easily?

Link to image: https://i.imgsafe.org/61b6f80782.jpg

Please note, the image doesn't make it look that bad, it much worse than it looks in the photo.

Thanks in advance!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That might be stress cracks in the display (not cracked through, but distorting the image)
Not much you can do about that, other than replace the LCD panel.

Another possibility is that there is smears, or dust inside, between the cover glass and the LCD panel itself. Also, not simple to fix.

You said it is a "2013" in the title. Does it have a built-in DVD drive (which was still sold until 2014), or the later very thin case (which has no space for a DVD drive)?

Joshua1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
That might be stress cracks in the display (not cracked through, but distorting the image)
Not much you can do about that, other than replace the LCD panel.

Another possibility is that there is smears, or dust inside, between the cover glass and the LCD panel itself. Also, not simple to fix.

You said it is a "2013" in the title. Does it have a built-in DVD drive (which was still sold until 2014), or the later very thin case (which has no space for a DVD drive)?

Thanks for your response.

It is the thin model which has no DVD drive built-in.

From the little research I've done it seems to be a common issue and other users have referred to them as "smudges". It seems to happen with the earlier models as it was the way the LCD was sealed other users have suggested. I only read this after making this thread.

Link to thread I've found: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/late-2013-imac-27-gray-smudges-smears-under-screen.1737677/

I guess I'm out of luck then because I don't have any AppleCare and it's definitely out of warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.