2013 iMac - Slow File Saves - 3TB Fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ckeck, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Hey everyone, just noticing (another) odd behavior on my new iMac and not sure if it's related to hardware or Mavericks. I have a lot of little Mavericks related bugs but since I've never had a 3TB Fusion drive I thought I'd ask.

My last iMac was a late-2012 model with a 1TB Fusion and I never noticed this just for some reference.

So anyways, I've noticed that saving files takes a while (or seemingly does anyways). When I save even a small PDF or text document from Text Editor to the desktop, or a screenshot via grab, it may take 5/6/7 seconds for the file to show up. I sit there waiting for it counting which is not right.

Anyone else seen this or do you all think it's a Mavericks issue?

2. thebritishguy macrumors member

Do you have a USB drive connected to the iMac

I found a slow usb drive that needed some time to wake from sleep caused this behavior

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Nope, nothing external attached at all. Just set this machine up a few days ago so it's pretty fresh.

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I don't have a FD so not speaking from experience but I read that the FD does a 'sorting' behind the scenes to figure out what goes on the SSD portion and what goes on the HD portion. Maybe you're is going thought that? If it's a few days old and you haven't used it, it may be a possibility.

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Interesting, I'll need to read up on this some more and decide. It's very noticeable on this machine from what I'm seeing but my previous iMac with a 1TB Fusion Drive didn't have this issue at all.

Was hoping it was Mavericks related, but maybe it's specific to the larger FD :(

6. aznboi91 macrumors regular

reinstall mavericks... or do a disk clean sweep.... or repair disk permissions and see if that helps?