Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Yours is a very US-centric view of the world. I believe we have seen share breakdowns for the US, and they are much closer.

Outside the US, none of the base assertions above are correct. The phones are not "free" (which is of course a misnomer). And in countries where consumers pay for the phones outright, Apple IS solely a luxury brand. Samsung has luxury offerings as well, but additionally competes at other price points.

Thank you for pointing this out. I think a lot of my fellow Americans wildly miss this point.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
C'mon MacRumors, stop with these analyst things. "Tablet growth is faster; therefore, it will surpass PC shipments very soon." Extrapolating like that never works accurately at all. Remember when Apple was going to hit $1000?

It's not an extrapolation. It already happened.

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
So, one Apple product - the Iphone - has almost as much market share as the entire Samsung lineup of smartphones? I'd say Apple is kicking much Samsung posterior.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Good for them.

Now let's see them sustain that 7x growth over the next 2 years.

That would be exponentially difficult each year. Doesn't diminish the notable achievement this year

Yours is a very US-centric view of the world. I believe we have seen share breakdowns for the US, and they are much closer.

Outside the US, none of the base assertions above are correct. The phones are not "free" (which is of course a misnomer). And in countries where consumers pay for the phones outright, Apple IS solely a luxury brand. Samsung has luxury offerings as well, but additionally competes at other price points.

Which us why I clarified in my post by saying US.

Thank you for pointing this out. I think a lot of my fellow Americans wildly miss this point.

Didn't miss anything. I stated in the US

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
It's interesting how the tablet market is not decimating the traditional PC/laptop market. It certainly snubbed its growth, but the volumes of each platform seem to be additive. People seem to be owning both.

To me this says the tablet is not living up to its potential as the mainstream portable PC. Tablets should be snuffing laptops out of existence, if the tablet were perfected. Sure, some small minority of people want a tactile keyboard and a bigger screen, but this is not the norm. The tablet apps are like baby apps, and Apple/developers need to step things up and create serious apps if they want to pounce on this opportunity.

The tablet is a mini-Cray mainframe in your hands yet it's playing Angry Birds and Slice It. Where's my app to access my company's CAD/part number database?

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
So, one Apple product - the Iphone - has almost as much market share as the entire Samsung lineup of smartphones? I'd say Apple is kicking much Samsung posterior.

The Kool-Aid is strong in this one...

Think different... Give users a choice.

Apple changed the mobile landscape in 2007. iOS never matured.

Enter Samsung on Android and they gave customers a choice.
High end. Got it.
Screen size choice. Got it.
API integration. Got it.
Home screen choice. Got it.
Other app stores. Yep.
Low end smartphones. Covered here to.

Good for you. You have one phone to choose from. Or a low end 4S or 4.

Yep you're going to sleep good until iOS 7 & it's the same OS from 2007 with Yahoo integration that you have no choice but to say... Apple has one phone.

Sleep well and drink your Kool-Aid.

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012

High end. Got it.
API integration. Got it.
Other app stores. Yep.

Yep you're going to sleep good until iOS 7 & it's the same OS from 2007 with Yahoo integration that you have no choice but to say... Apple has one phone.

I'm just commenting on the market share numbers. Which is funny, because even with all those things you mentioned Apple seems to be doing quite well. Burns, doesn't it? Want some Kool-Aid?

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

Haha, the Kool-Air is strong on this one also.

You have no idea how mature iOS is until you do enterprise development for it.

You also have no idea how immature Androids is until you do the same level of enterprise dev on it.

At my work, I enjoy all the built in features that make enterprise integration so easy for iOS while the Android team is pulling their hair out everyday to achieve the same.

But yeah, you can customize your home screen on Android pretty good. Beside that? Not much else.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

High end. Got it.
API integration. Got it.
Other app stores. Yep.

Hit a nerve did we?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 152

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013

High end. Got it.
API integration. Got it.
Other app stores. Yep.

So just to be clear, when 48 million people buy the iPhone in the December qtr, and 30+ million bought it last qtr it's because they had no choice and are miserable with their purchase, right?

I love the things android users come up with. It's so full of holes and defies all logic but "that's our story and we're sticking to it!"

The RDF is strong with you.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So just to be clear, when 48 million people buy the iPhone in the December qtr, and 30+ million bought it last qtr it's because they had no choice and are miserable with their purchase, right?

I don't agree with what he said overall - but once again you seemingly put words in his mouth. At no time did he say people had no choice what phone to buy nor that they are miserable.

You want to comment on his rant as being over the top - go right ahead. But don't just make crap up. You don't need to with that post. He's given enough material to offer your own opinion without resorting to straw man garbage.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Samsung and iPhone sell to the same markets. You can get both Samsung and Apple phones for free (at least here in the US for example).

Apple isn't a luxury product. You can get them at Walmart. A comparison of Apple to Samsung relating to Porsche and Ford doesn't work as analogous.

Depends on what type of Samsung phone you are talking about. Most of of Samsung's phones and not high end smart phones. Apple only makes one high end smart phone.

I was only saying comparing Apple's high end smart phone to any phone Samsung makes is not an accurate comparision.

BTW...You can get a cheaper (older Porsche) anywhere, that doesn't change the fact that is is a high end car. I think the analogy fits perfectly since Porsche primarily manufactures high end cars and Ford produces cars in a lower and high price ranges.

----------

Remember this. If you ever think about making a car to computer analogy...don't. They're not apt at all.

Apple hardware might sport a slightly better build quality than most of the competition, but they cost about the same, and use roughly the same parts. If this were the case with the car market, then a Porsche and Ford would both cost about $15,000, but the Porsches have better bumpers and look nicer.

Again...this is only if you compare the iPhone with Samsung's GS ...

Are you saying that every phone that samsung makes in compariable in cost to the iPhone?

Seems like you are only looking at the GS series, but that is not all that is counted in Samsungs total market share.

That being said.....the analogy fits quite well.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
samsung grows 7x in 2 yrs, ipads sell quicker than iphones, tablets sell better than PCs and notebooks. this report has revealed some amazing facts.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
samsung grows 7x in 2 yrs, ipads sell quicker than iphones, tablets sell better than PCs and notebooks. this report has revealed some amazing facts.

yep, those are some unbelievable, mind blowing facts. the most unbelievable fact was that ipads sell faster than iphones.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
It's a good thing Tim Cook said last night he doesn't care about Market Share because he's getting A** Whipped by Samsung.

It looks like it's the "other" group that got whipped. Apple grew from 16% to 22% and the segment as a whole quadrupled in size.

So:

22% of 219 million units (2012)

is better than

16% of 55 million units. (2010)

…much better

Renzatic

Suspended
Again...this is only if you compare the iPhone with Samsung's GS ...

Are you saying that every phone that samsung makes in compariable in cost to the iPhone?

Seems like you are only looking at the GS series, but that is not all that is counted in Samsungs total market share.

That being said.....the analogy fits quite well.

Okay, this is true to a point, but if we were to go with the whole car analogy, then it'd be like Ford makes expensive, Porsche quality cars alongside Pintos, whereas Porsche only makes Porsches. Assuming all things are equal on the high end, there's no reason to point out the quality of one over the other. A high end Ford will be just as good as a Porsche.

Just because Ford offers a low end option doesn't mean the quality of the entire line is brought down by association.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Wow, this thread turned into an apple bash in no time at all. Android is not a single phone it's an os. Samsung makes so many models of course they are going to out sell the single iPhone model.

Samsung have exploded yes, but even with cut price discounts and free deals they still can't sell a single product that can compete with the iPhone and they nicked pretty much the whole idea from apple.

You only have to look at how bad Samsung's so called smart TVs are, to realise without apple to show them the way they can't make software to save their lives. Samsung make plasticky hardware with google, they are not even close to being able to make anything like apple does. Even Htc make better hardware and software addons.

To all the Samsung fans claiming Samsung and apple products are the same price, they are not! Samsung's flagship phones the s4 might be close to the same price but Samsung sell a tonne of other models that aren't much further away from feature phones, these freebie cheap phones are where Samsung are getting 7x growth.

I would love to see a phone model only breakdown, I think most would be surprised that no single phone is selling anything like the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.