2013 Late MBP vs 2017 Mid MBP with TB - where's the beef?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdloeffler, Jun 14, 2017.

1. sdloeffler macrumors newbie

Question, I have a Late 2103 Retina MacBook Pro and just purchased the new Mid 2017 MacBook Pro. I have numerous benchmarking test including Cinebench, Geekbench, and Black Magic. In almost every way the new one outshines the old one, which I would expect. However, in real world usage and testing - Photoshop, FCPX, Office, etc. I don't see a big difference. what am I missing? Was my 2013 that far ahead of the game?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's surprising you're not seeing a difference in FCPX. Do you have the 15"? That's the biggie for the Pro Apps due to the dGPU and quad core CPU. Regardless, was it particularly choppy on your old machine?

Tru importing some big ol' files into FCPX; just drag some fat videos into the timeline. Copy & paste them, scrub through, crop, expand, play — do the same on the 2013 and I'm almost certain you'll really see the difference, even if you had the 13" before and the 13" now. With the 15" I'd bet my house on a very obvious performance difference under a lot of stress.

3. ChristWolves macrumors regular

Seems like a minor upgrade? I am keeping my high-spec 2013 MBP. =)

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/3109724

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Haswell was a big step up and to be honest intel have just been refining it ever since, that simple really.