2013 Mac Air: BIGGEST ISSUE and LIMITATION that you WILL HATE

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by johnjey, Nov 15, 2013.

1. johnjey macrumors regular

Like everyone else here, i took the dive of a $1650 laptop and bought this 11' 2013 i5/8GB RAM/ 512 SSD and guess what the software boys at Apple has made sure that this system "CONTINUES" to "DISAPPOINT" in every possible way:

The I-Sight camera in this thing DOES NOT work with:

1. Yahoo Messenger
    2. Tinychat
    3. Ch****bate
    4. Any other application or website that requests for a camera access.

I am on OSX v10.9 (the so called Mavericks: pathetic as it doesn't even allow a bloddy in-built webcam to work, the so called 64 bit architect appears useless)

Please do not suggest here to NOT use Yahoo Messenger or to NOT use this with other websites, because i DID NOT buy this thing to add limitations in my life...a product is ONLY GOOD if it bloody works with the other worldly things on which a pathetic windows $300 laptop operates smoothly.

An in-built webcam "alone" (the so called isight camera)is a BIG DEAL BREAKER for me.:mad::mad:

I know the experts may suggest that oh it's a yahoo issue as they don't support 64-bit stuff ...accepted but what about other websites? I have flash installed and enabled.

Solution:

1. Is there any "known" 3rd party webcam device that i can buy and use with OSX 10.9 that works flawlessly with any other application and website?

2. I also have VMware Fusion installed and using Windows 7 in that and obviously the I-sight DOES NOT work there as well.:mad:

Please advice, i am really frustrated regarding this whole i-sight thing not working with so many applications and websites that i ultimately had to start this thread.

2. mpantone macrumors 6502

I am quite happy with my MacBook Air (2013) but I do not rely on the iSight camera.

I suggest you take the computer back for a full refund. You clearly have multiple iSight-related uses that are inadequately addressed by the current Mavericks operating system version. If Mavericks' implementation of iSight software is deficient, it would likely affect all applications relying on this functionality.

You might have the option of reverting to the Mountain Lion operating system, but based on your plentiful vitriol, it doesn't sound like you'd be placated anyhow by a return to a more stable operating system.

You may be happier with a unit running another operating system, perhaps a Windows Surface machine or perhaps a Chromebook, but I cannot make any specific recommendations. You will have to do the research on your own for the specific applications you wish to run.

Good luck.

3. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

My needs and demands are very basic and every other basic user uses these apps and websites pretty much every other day, so i don't think, moving back to the world of windows is an option for me anymore...

There's wide-spread reports of i-sight being a major glitch..when will APPLE wake up?

4. mpantone macrumors 6502

Sorry, installation and use of VMWare Fusion by default does not make you a typical Mac user.

And if Windows runs those "critical" tasks better than OS X, why are you claiming that going back to Windows is "not an option."

That simply doesn't make any sense.

Anyhow, best of luck. You definitely need it. So will AAPL shareholders. Of course they are *DOOMED*(TM).

5. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

After Steve passed away, no one is following on these tiny stuff that required enormous attention to detail. It's sad but just hope apple won't rot anymore.

6. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

this sounds like a bug that will be fixed

7. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

All issues with the applications you're using... Not the computer. But of course that's too easy, so easier to troll for support. Return the computer, buy a 600$ dell and be happy.

BTW I use websites that needed camera access just fine - did you update flash?

8. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

Why do some people think it's the responsibility of Apple to make sure other company's software works with their operating system? They can only build it to work in a "most cases" situation as best as they can just like MS does.

The OP's claim the iSight camera doesn't work with "any other application or website that requests for camera access" is not true and I'd suggest they get more familiar with their Mac before making such a claim. :rolleyes:

9. twintin macrumors 6502

Haven't tried any of those, but it works with Skype and Viber for me. As stated before, possibly an issue with those apps rather than OS X or your Air themselves.

10. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

The camera works for me when I have used it, so it's not an issue at all for me, nor a limitation, so I cant hate it.

11. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

That is a non-issue for me and not a limitation. I am on my second MBA and Ilove it. But if it's a deal breaker for you, sell it and get something that does what you need. Life is too short to be spent using equipment that you hate.

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If your camera isn't working with any application that requests camera access, did you think that the camera itself might be broken? Take it into an Apple Store, tell them calmly what your problem is, and see if they can get you taken care of.

In the meantime, go to Apple Menu --> About this Mac --> System Report... --> USB and see if you see an entry in the listout for "FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) anywhere. If you don't, that should signal that it's not installed properly.

Attached Files:

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds like an binary choice to me: Put up with the shortcomings or move back to Windows.

Sometimes, things just doesn't work, gripping just wastes energy.

14. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for an interesting suggestion so far to my post:

I have attached the screenshot of what i see under USB: It does NOT list FaceTime HD camera there.... what does this mean ?

Only place i see it listed under is Camera..but perhaps that's the wrong place.

Attached Files:

15. cerberusss, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013

cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Wow, interesting issue... apparently there are many other apps that don't work correctly:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5162389

This seems to be an issue since 10.8.5, so it doesn't have to do with Mavericks per say.

I for one totally agree this is a weird issue. In the meantime you could get an external, 3rd party webcam. Although this is obviously not what you're looking for with an expensive notebook, I expect this issue will get fixed in the coming months. The MacBook Air is one of the top selling Apple notebooks.

16. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Tell a Genius at your local Apple store you intend to use your MBA with those sites. Speak out loud and clear. Best is you ask for a female Genius to embarrass yourself even more. If this does not work ask your family and friends maybe they know how to fix your problem :rolleyes:

17. johnjey, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013

johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

I don't mind throwing another $100 down the drain to make this webcam crap work.

I found this link but not really sure if these external 3rd party webcams will work with the mavericks ...thoughts?

http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com

----------

Here's another slap in the face from Apple, its pretty clear that i am not seeing FaceTime HD camera listed under USB and that's normal for an Air

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23414509#23414509

18. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Yeah maybe your morality stands above mine. My solution would be real live - but maybe you can't handle that either :eek:

Good luck to you.

19. jdiamond, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

jdiamond macrumors 6502

First version syndrome...

I've been using Macs since 10.3 Panther, and it always takes Apple a number of months to work all the kinks out of new OSes following a wide release - the more significant OS roll outs like Leopard and Maverick typically take about 8 months to make largely smooth. Then there's the issue of how long it takes software developers to make their software compatible with the new OS. (And there's always a few applications that never make it.)

I've made it a personal rule if at all possible to never install an OS-X before it got to 10.x.3. This is very similar to my earlier rule of not using a Windows OS until the second service pack comes out. This is not to say Apple doesn't work hard and gets most things right, but there's gonna be issues. And a brand new OS combined with new hardware is always tough.

In any case, I'd make the bug known, look for discussions on it, get a sense if it's a priority or not for Maverick 10.9.2 (10.9.1 is frozen at this point and about to be released.) Then decide. By 10.9.3 they should be running mostly smoothly.

- Jeff

P. S. I just realized something important. Not all companies are equally supportive of Macs. You are blaming Mavericks, but can you find out if these uses of the webcam you had in mind have ever worked on a Mac? Because if they never have, it diminishes the odds that Yahoo will make them work in the future... Not to be pessimistic, but it's something to consider. I'd gladly help out but I've never heard of the things you mentioned. I can't recall ever using a 100% browser based webcam on a Mac. The three video clients I've used - Skype, Adobe Connect, and FaceTime, may partially use a web browser for the UI, but also install specific software applications to actually enable the camera.

20. jdiamond macrumors 6502

Don't forget to help others...

By definition, Mavericks 10.9.0 is a beta. There is no way on the planet Apple's sitting there before wide release saying, "wait - did we check to see if Yahoo Messenger Video Chat is compatible with the facetime camera? What about TinyChat?" The only way they can fix it is if they know it's a problem. That's why the first updates of OS-X come out in rapid fire - they are addressing all the reports of problems that come rolling in.

Snow Leopard took the longest, but it's still my favorite OS-X -> that took until 10.6.6 at least to get out some of the more serious bugs. But I still used it throughout that time. And it was actually "completed" the quickest - by 10.6.8.

21. mpantone, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

Twintin appears to be correct.

The problem lies with the individual applications, not with the FaceTime HD camera itself. I confirm that the camera works with Skype.

The blame lies on the developers who wrote those specific video-camera accessing applications in not providing compatible versions.

It's not Apple's responsibility to make sure that every single application that you use will work with the new operating system. That is *YOUR* responsibility.

Now if you upgraded the OS yourself, you should try to restore from a backup taken when you were still running Mountain Lion.

If the system shipped with Mavericks, I suggest you return it for a refund and go back to whatever you were running until your preferred third-party application developers catch up to Mavericks. Only then should you purchase the new machine.

jdiamond is not correct in saying that Mavericks is a beta. No company that writes consumer operating systems can ensure that all third-party applications are compatible. The fact that there are incompatible applications does not make the operating system a beta. The beta status is declared by author, and typically reflects an unwillingness to provide normal customer support for *their* software bits in that particular condition.

It's not like Apple's third-party software partners haven't had access to the Mavericks operating system. Plenty of them released Mavericks-compatible versions right around the time of the release, and the fact that Skype supports the FaceTime HD camera is ample evidence of this.

Anyhow, good luck.

22. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

The FaceTime camera shows up under Camera on my Air, too..not under USB.

I haven't video chatted since I bought my Air so I have no idea if it works or not.

23. barkmonster, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I wonder if has something to do with the recent Sandboxing of Flash in Safari under Mavericks. It may be that it's sandboxed and Safari is written to have access to it but the apps mentioned need to be updated to work around the sandboxing?

Calling someone a troll for pointing out obvious flaws in your "perfect" computer companies software/OS doesn't give your dismissive opinion of the undeniable problems they're experiencing any more weight. In fact, it invalidates your opinion.

These seem like very basic uses of an inbuilt feature that fail to work with software designed to use such features and they also sound like something Apple will fix with an update as they're not hardware related, they're simply preventing software from interfacing with the hardware.

I'd be annoyed if I something built into my Mac didn't work for it's ONLY purpose.

24. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Depends what you grip !

25. robvas macrumors 68020

Microsoft has always done an insane amount of work with each version of Windows to make sure as many programs as possible would continue to work with the new OS. Why would anyone upgrade Windows when their existing programs are incompatible?

Read Raymond Chen's blog for more information, he works on that team.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/default.aspx?PostSortBy=MostComments&PageIndex=1