2013 Mac Pro external drive options...?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zeiss, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Zeiss macrumors member

So I have my new Mac Pro and it is pretty good....! I have a 500GB drive which is just so dam fast, but it is only 500GB.... and I'm coming from a 2010 Pro with 6TB of storage via a Drobo FireWire 800 RAID (still bummed that a pro machine shipped in 2010 with SATA 3 and USB 2, but I getting over it now!).

Anyway, I need to replace the Drobo. They have a Thunderbolt model, but it is Thunderbolt 1 not 2. LaCie also Thunderbolt 1. Now I know that Pegasus have a Thunderbolt 2 RAID box. So here is my question - does a 7200rpm drive top out at less or more than Thunderbolt 1 speeds? What about an SSD drive (given how prices are going I've gotta assume that I'll be able to afford an SSD RAID in a few years.....

I'm mostly a photographer, but I do edit a few videos per year. Speed and efficiency are really important to me.

What are people using? I've never used Pegasus and don't know anyone who has, but my Drobo has been solid for 4 years now and I would not hesitate to get another. Thanks in advance.

2. lukewind macrumors newbie

External Drives

I have one of the new Pegasus2 Raids and so far it has been very solid and pretty speedy. G Technology just introduced their new line of thunderbolt externals. Honestly if I could have waited I would have waited for them. I have always had good luck with their products, I am probably gonna sell my Pegasus Eventually and get one of these. You can check them out here: http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-studio

Drobo's are ok, but none of their current models are as fast as a Pegasus or Gdrive. Almost none of my video editing friends use Drobos because they have had issues in the past, but for photograpghy Drobos are great.