2013 Mac Pro Won't Stay On Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EnderBeta, Mar 9, 2017.

1. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

I'm trying to connect to my wireless network with my Mac Pro. It hops on and connects. I can see web pages and the app store working. Then after a few moments it disconnects.

I've run network diagnostics but it won't ever go past creating diagnostics report.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Could you try a PRAM/SMC reset? Also create a new Admin user account to see if the problem persists there.

You can try a Safe mode boot by holding Alt on startup. Please can you ensure your wireless network is set to WPA2-PSK/AES only — no mixed or legacy mode.

3. EnderBeta thread starter macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

It looks like it was a network security mode. My router has 2.4GHz and 5GHz band steering so I guess it connected to 2.4GHz and then requested 5GHz and dropped because I had 2.4GHz set to WPA2 Personal only and then 5GHz had a mixed setting. I changed it to WPA2 Personal only as well and it looks like I have it resolved.

Thank you very much!

4. now i see it macrumors 68000

My experience with flakey wifi on a mac is that it's a harbinger of doom. Once it starts doing that (in my experience) if the base station is nearby with a strong signal, the end is near. Hardware related.

Place your wifi router next to your mp or vice versa to ensure a strong unfettered signal and test it. Then test the router signal with a iPhone or another computer to ensure its not a router problem. If it's not the router, there's a hardware issue going on in the nMP and no amount a fiddling with settings is going to help.

5. EnderBeta thread starter macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

It's for sure not the router. At least not that it was on it's last legs. :) My gaming PC, PS4 Pro, Apple TV4, your iMacs, Mac Minis, MacBooks and phones aren't having a connection issue. It's a Linksys EA9500. :)