Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLS727

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hi all, I've finally figured out my perfect set up for the moment.

After lots of research here for Mac Pro gaming and exploring the possibilities of running Windows 10 via bootcamp and possibly a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti as an external GPU...... I just decided it was way too much money and effort to put the square peg in the round hole.

With the "PBP" feature in the 49" Samsung CHG90, you can not only switch between inputs... you can choose inputs for a split screen.

Anyway, for me, this worked out to give me the experience I wanted for a 'best of both worlds'.... rather than just speccing out a high-end Windows gaming PC.

Cheers!

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 2.36.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 2.38.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 2.37.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 2.37.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 2.37.36 PM.png

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I like it too. It would not work for my setup (desk to small with my 27" iMac for another monitor), but I love the idea of getting dual uses out of one monitor like that.

CLS727

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
So does the OneX support the ultra wide resolution, or does it stretch the image? Hard to tell from the photos what res you get.

Stretching now for the full screen. But I’m only playing it now in the PBP mode on half the screen.

As mentioned above it’s something that could be added in a future software update. And from there I supposed it would be on a game by game basis for how well it’s supported.

The experience is great when done right as I’ve seen for some PC gaming on YouTube for this screen. Just a small market to warrant full developer support I guess.

samsondk

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
] so can you play all of your xbox games on the 49 inch without problems .and how about the Mac..does it fit the screen without black lines
I have the same system but my screen is a bit to big ( 55 inch samsung HD tv screen) ..:) ..thinking of getting the same as yours for use in Logic Pro x and at bit of xbox x

My system below

Attachments

• 21534492_10213889104165545_239739386_o.jpg
    21534492_10213889104165545_239739386_o.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
] so can you play all of your xbox games on the 49 inch without problems .and how about the Mac..does it fit the screen without black lines
I have the same system but my screen is a bit to big ( 55 inch samsung HD tv screen) ..:) ..thinking of getting the same as yours for use in Logic Pro x and at bit of xbox x

My system below

The Mac can definitely use it without any issue. All my HD4870, HD7950, R9 280, R9 380, RX580, GTX 1080Ti can drive it at native resolution without and black lines.

For Xbox, you can config the monitor to serve as a 27" 1080P monitor if you want to.

CLS727

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018

My system below

Hello,

Yes, the macOS desktop stretches to fill the full screen very nicely.... works great.

The Xbox One X does not support that full resolution, however. Games will stretch to fill the screen but it looks bad because they weren't designed for the ultra wide ratio.

So I only use the XBox on half the screen.... The function of the Samsung to 'split' the screen into 2 separate inputs works great..... I can set the DisplayPort on the left side, and HDMI 1 on the right side..... so a 27" screen for each at once.

samsondk

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
The Mac can definitely use it without any issue. All my HD4870, HD7950, R9 280, R9 380, RX580, GTX 1080Ti can drive it at native resolution without and black lines.

For Xbox, you can config the monitor to serve as a 27" 1080P monitor if you want to.

ok thanks ..do you think that I will get a better image compared to the one im using now ..
running on HMDI 1080p on 60 hertz ...its a tv screen with pc mode enabled ..works fine but way to big .and my eyes is killing me ..sitting 8 to 10 hours on logic on this ..:)
[doublepost=1535662130][/doublepost]
Hello,

Yes, the macOS desktop stretches to fill the full screen very nicely.... works great.

The Xbox One X does not support that full resolution, however. Games will stretch to fill the screen but it looks bad because they weren't designed for the ultra wide ratio.

So I only use the XBox on half the screen.... The function of the Samsung to 'split' the screen into 2 separate inputs works great..... I can set the DisplayPort on the left side, and HDMI 1 on the right side..... so a 27" screen for each at once.
Stretching now for the full screen. But I’m only playing it now in the PBP mode on half the screen.

As mentioned above it’s something that could be added in a future software update. And from there I supposed it would be on a game by game basis for how well it’s supported.

The experience is great when done right as I’ve seen for some PC gaming on YouTube for this screen. Just a small market to warrant full developer support I guess.
ok cls ...please read my other reply on here ..and let me know what you think
[doublepost=1535662227][/doublepost]ok thanks ..do you think that I will get a better image compared to the one im using now ..
running on HMDI 1080p on 60 hertz ...its a tv screen with pc mode enabled ..works fine but way to big .and my eyes is killing me ..sitting 8 to 10 hours on logic on this ..:)

repost ..sorry about that ...im new here.
[doublepost=1535662882][/doublepost]
Hello,

do you think that there will be a difference compared to the 1080p hdmi tv Im using now ..it has pc mode but thats about it .

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
ok thanks ..do you think that I will get a better image compared to the one im using now ..
[doublepost=1535662130][/doublepost]

ok cls ...please read my other reply on here ..and let me know what you think
[doublepost=1535662227][/doublepost]ok thanks ..do you think that I will get a better image compared to the one im using now ..

repost ..sorry about that ...im new here.
[doublepost=1535662882][/doublepost]

do you think that there will be a difference compared to the 1080p hdmi tv Im using now ..it has pc mode but thats about it .

Should be a big difference.

1) 3840x1080 is effectively 2x 1920x1080, which means the working space is doubled. 1080P really only provide very limiting desktop space. Also, you will have to flexibility to use it as 2x 1920x1080 or 3x 1280x1080 by arranging the windows. In fact, I found that use it as ~3x 1280x1080 is the best in most situation. I can keep the main window right in front of me. And some other stuff on the left + right space. Much easier to display everything on the monitor at the same time. Reduce the necessity of switching between space / windows.
total power.jpg

2) This is a 144Hz monitor, especially it's a low input lag gaming monitor. The responsiveness / smoothness / etc is much much better than a TV.

3) My viewing distance is about 80cm from it. That's a very perfect distance to me to use this monitor. 55" 16:9 TV is definitely way too big (I have 55 and 84" TV, I used them as monitor. I know how it feel).

4) You can use keyboard short key to direct control the brightness of the CHG90. Which is way better than TV. (N.B. NativeDisplayBrightness, and Karabiner is required to setup the short key)

5) And of course, for computer gaming, the experience on this monitor is unparalleled.
Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition Super-Resolution 2018.03.01 - 00.28.18.79 Raw-1.jpg

RoTR3.jpg

CLS727

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018

TV's usually are terrible monitors (input lag, blurry text, etc... lots of explanation out there on that)... "PC mode" seems like more of a marketing effort because the specs of the are what they are.... color filters can only do so much.

Also, for a computer, Display Port is better than HDMI.

But yes, if you've been reading text all day on a "tv" rather than a monitor.... that would be murder on your eyes.

Tass98

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
Hi,
i have na older mac pro (3.1) with a GTX680, and i just got the chg90.
as you describe, the image streches nicely but all the icons are messed up.
it looks like the resolution got steeched and it looks wierd.
any idea why its may be? was there a chg90 driver for the mac? or did you have to download anything to get the icons to resize accordingly?

thanks

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi,
i have na older mac pro (3.1) with a GTX680, and i just got the chg90.
as you describe, the image streches nicely but all the icons are messed up.
it looks like the resolution got steeched and it looks wierd.
any idea why its may be? was there a chg90 driver for the mac? or did you have to download anything to get the icons to resize accordingly?

thanks

Shouldn't be like that, what you have at here?
Screenshot 2018-09-28 at 22.06.33.png

Anyway, you may try ResXtreme to pick a "correct" resolution.

http://resxtreme.com

Rohanpainter

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
Hi all, I've finally figured out my perfect set up for the moment.

After lots of research here for Mac Pro gaming and exploring the possibilities of running Windows 10 via bootcamp and possibly a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti as an external GPU...... I just decided it was way too much money and effort to put the square peg in the round hole.

With the "PBP" feature in the 49" Samsung CHG90, you can not only switch between inputs... you can choose inputs for a split screen.

Anyway, for me, this worked out to give me the experience I wanted for a 'best of both worlds'.... rather than just speccing out a high-end Windows gaming PC.

Cheers!

View attachment 758835 View attachment 758836 View attachment 758837 View attachment 758838 View attachment 758839

Hi,
Please guide me I really want this Monitor,
I have an iMac and was wondering if I can use the PBP and support 2 display out and into two different inputs on the Monitor? or it will not be possible?
As I would like to use 2 screens for FCPX, one dedicated to the viewer screen and other for the timeline and extras.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi,
Please guide me I really want this Monitor,
I have an iMac and was wondering if I can use the PBP and support 2 display out and into two different inputs on the Monitor? or it will not be possible?
As I would like to use 2 screens for FCPX, one dedicated to the viewer screen and other for the timeline and extras.

Yes, CHG 90 can split the screen and work like two independent screens. There are two display port input, and two HDMI input. The screen can work in PBP mode, and display any two of those input at the same time.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Reactions: CLS727
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.