Resolved 2013 Macbook Air battery varies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by technowar, Oct 4, 2013.

1. technowar, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

technowar macrumors 6502

I've been an iStat menu user since I got my first Mac mini last 2010, and I have been using it in my recent 2013 13" Macbook Air too.

Now, the battery remaining iStat is telling me is waaaaaaaay off from Apple's Energy Saver.

iStat's
    [​IMG]

Equivalent on Apple's (taken the same time)
    [​IMG]

iStat's - another scenario
    [​IMG]

Apple's
    [​IMG]

They do have the same battery remaining if it goes lower than 9:00 remaining though.

One last question irrelevant to the topic.
    The number of seconds my machine boots up and shuts down sometimes vary. Is this a normal thing?

Do I need to reset my PRAM every time this is happening? The thing is, it's kinda annoying.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your images don't appear in your post, but battery remaining estimates are exactly that: estimates. They will not be entirely accurate, and will vary from moment to moment as the power demands of your system vary. Your boot up time will not be exactly the same duration every time. You do not need to reset NVRAM, as it has nothing to do with boot up time.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. technowar thread starter macrumors 6502

If I reset the PRAM, it does however quickens my boot up and shut down.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with startup time. It's likely the reboot that quickens it.

5. technowar thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks.

So, back to the main question. I guess I'm a little paranoid with the battery life?

6. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Too much paranoid i would say. I was using my MBA 2013 for 11hours, two films watched, youtube a lot of, browsing and etc. while MBA system battery remaining time was changing everytime from 18 hours to 3 hours and etc.

7. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Don't worry about the battery. It fluctuates.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Perhaps a bit. You really don't need to worry about the battery. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

9. technowar thread starter macrumors 6502