2013 MacBook Air Initial Battery Charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BlindGoldfish, Jun 17, 2013.

1. BlindGoldfish macrumors regular

I thought I remember reading that Apple ships their notebooks charged at around 40%. When I opened up my new MacBook Air, it was already charged up to 100%. Does this sound right? Possible Refurb already?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seriously doubtful that you have a refurb when the product was announced one week ago today.

I wouldn't worry about it.

3. ch900712 macrumors newbie

mine was 99% so I guess they get shipped at 100%

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple typically ships notebooks with some charge, not necessarily 40%. Some do ship with a full charge. No, it's not possible that your MacBook air is a refurb.

5. BlindGoldfish thread starter macrumors regular

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Likely the batteries come out of the factory fully charged, but over the weeks and months that they sit in warehouses, trucks, planes, etc. they begin to self discharge. Since the Airs are brand new, you probably got your unit within days of being manufactured, especially if yours was a BTO. Hence the full charge.

7. Knightimer macrumors member

Don't worry about it. You are good to go. I received mine last year with a full charge. It was BTO. I doubt there are any refurbs out there yet.

8. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Picked up a new 13" at Apple store over the weekend and it came out of the box at 99%, fwiw

9. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I bought a 13" yesterday. It was right at 93% when I started it up. It wouldn't charge w/ the AC adapter so I returned/exchanged it today. The new one was at 99%.

10. Neeyul macrumors member

Mine was also about 93%, first estimate from stock (before installing anything/doing anything) was 15:xx! @_@!

Also, my current capacity (75xx) was way higher than the design capacity of the battery (7150).

11. flight macrumors regular

My battery estimate was in the mid-90s.

If it's true that Apple typically ships their laptops at around 40% (which is the ideal percentage for long-term storage), then I suspect that these are charged to >90% because the first shipments usually don't stay on the shelves very long.