2013 Macbook Air screen shutting off randomly

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shanej399, Aug 19, 2013.

1. shanej399 macrumors newbie

It's happened 3 times now.. It's a brand new 2013 macbook air, had it for maybe three weeks now. and the screen will flick off and i'll have to reenter my password to get back on. Am i just accidently hitting something on the keyboard or is there an issue?

I'm at school now, and the apple store i bought it from is around 4 hours away so i can't take it in. I have apple care though.

thanks.

2. bit density macrumors 6502

It is probably due to magnets. there is a magnet in the lid so that the computer knows when the lid is closed. My mistake is that I would set the computer on or near my iPad, which has really strong magnets for the cover.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

4. shanej399 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, seems like it's a universal problem. pretty disappointing actually. seems like it's a hardware issue and more than likely won't be fixed by apple. it's not that big of a deal, it's just a little bothersome, wish there was a fix tho

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Not to derail the thread but...
    Interesting note about the magnets. I use a small magnet to turn off the display for use with my 27" ACD (I don't like the fact that "Clamshell Mode" has been shown to limit the i7 processor during heavy load due to thermal issues).
    Anyway, a small magnet on the left upper side of the MacBook Air will turn the display off as if the lid were closed.
    Note: I did this with my 2010 MBP as well.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601