Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbrooks59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
I ordered one of the new 2013 MacBook Airs last Thursday and have been tracking it since. Twice it has told me its at the local FedEx facility which is suppose to mean the one closest to me. Yet it says the current location is Shanghai China which is where it left from...does this mean its still in China?

ryanmkelly

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Mine jumped between London and China. (August 5th onwards). It lasted for 3-4 days.

I assume this was because the items needed to be merged. (The gift card and the Mac).

Eventually the items came together and I can now track the item in one location. Should arrive tomorrow.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I ordered one of the new 2013 MacBook Airs last Thursday and have been tracking it since. Twice it has told me its at the local FedEx facility which is suppose to mean the one closest to me. Yet it says the current location is Shanghai China which is where it left from...does this mean its still in China?

The only thing that matters is when FedEx says is the estimated delivery date.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
The only thing that matters is when FedEx says is the estimated delivery date.

+1

It will take a while to ship under standard shipping, but just keep an eye on the estimated delivery date. If I understand correctly, Macs can come through different routes depending on where you live.
I don't believe the $100 Gift Cards can be tracked though (the ones that come with the education offer).

Jbrooks59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
You're right, you cannot track the gift cards because I did the education offer. Also, it's not suppose to be here until Thursday, I just think it'll be hard to get it from Shanghai to Virginia by then. I've been using a 7 year old desktop so I'm excited about getting this new MacBook Air!

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
You're right, you cannot track the gift cards because I did the education offer. Also, it's not suppose to be here until Thursday, I just think it'll be hard to get it from Shanghai to Virginia by then. I've been using a 7 year old desktop so I'm excited about getting this new MacBook Air!

Exactly. I have been using a PC for around 10 years, and just got a MacBook Air (with the education offer) a few days ago. Shipping took a while from Shanghai. But that feeling is amazing! :)

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
How do you like your new MacBook Air?

It's wonderful. When you hold a MacBook Air, you really get the sense of the impressive engineering that went into building the machine. When you invest in a Mac, IMHO, you really see that Apple's philosophy is partially based on cost versus value. The machines do cost more than PCs with more powerful configs, but they have greater value. You can actually have pride in owning one of these. And this is coming from a PC user who decided to switch only very recently.

The OS is great, and the whole computer feels like one unit. You'll find that everything is very intuitive in a Mac (things like scrolling, web browsing, etc.). That, I think, is part of the reason why it is not too difficult to make the switch. The battery life is really unprecedented - it lasts the full workday without a charge, and even more once you get home (12 hours on the 13-inch model, although many reviewers were reporting even 13 hours or so in some cases). The Haswell i5 (or i7) powers through almost everything you throw at it, effortlessly. Fans run quietly. Everything is where it needs to be.

I can't imagine what a MacBook Pro or iMac must be like (because of the student budget I have), but I hope to invest in one of those in the future too.

NewbieToMacs

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
It's wonderful. When you hold a MacBook Air, you really get the sense of the impressive engineering that went into building the machine. When you invest in a Mac, IMHO, you really see that Apple's philosophy is partially based on cost versus value. The machines do cost more than PCs with more powerful configs, but they have greater value. You can actually have pride in owning one of these. And this is coming from a PC user who decided to switch only very recently.

The OS is great, and the whole computer feels like one unit. You'll find that everything is very intuitive in a Mac (things like scrolling, web browsing, etc.). That, I think, is part of the reason why it is not too difficult to make the switch. The battery life is really unprecedented - it lasts the full workday without a charge, and even more once you get home (12 hours on the 13-inch model, although many reviewers were reporting even 13 hours or so in some cases). The Haswell i5 (or i7) powers through almost everything you throw at it, effortlessly. Fans run quietly. Everything is where it needs to be.

I can't imagine what a MacBook Pro or iMac must be like (because of the student budget I have), but I hope to invest in one of those in the future too.

Thank you for posting your thoughts. I just purchased mine today and I was feeling nervous since I've never owned a mac and its a lot of money for me but reading your post helped calm my nerves that I've made a great purchase.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Thank you for posting your thoughts. I just purchased mine today and I was feeling nervous since I've never owned a mac and its a lot of money for me but reading your post helped calm my nerves that I've made a great purchase.

Very glad I could help! Great to be part of a community of Mac users who can help each other.

Jbrooks59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Yeah, I was deciding between the pro and the air and I decided to get the air because I travel a lot. The MacBook Air I ordered is the 13 inch, i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, which is the best one you could get so I'm excited! I also love the gestures on the trackpad that you can do with macs. I just hope it gets here when it is suppose to. I can't wait!

kyleatyree

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
Mine said it was still in China until 3 days before it was due for delivery, then over the next 3 days it was checked in various facilities across the US and was delivered on time. if you get an customization options at all. It almost always takes longer. I'm sure it will be there on time.

M0V3M3N7

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
London, UK
Mine said it was still in China until 3 days before it was due for delivery, then over the next 3 days it was checked in various facilities across the US and was delivered on time. if you get an customization options at all. It almost always takes longer. I'm sure it will be there on time.

Mine went through a similar process. Initially it said it was in the UK, then it said it was at an airport, then china, then UK airport, then London!

But either way, it arrived a few days earlier than apple's estimated delivery date - thats what matters. I've never had an apple product not beat its delivery estimate.

And the MBA is fantastic. I could not be more satisfied I made the right choice! :)

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Does "On FedEx vehicle for delivery" mean it will be delivered that day?

That should be the case.
Surprisingly, a friend ordered a MacBook Air, and the gift card was listed to arrive a day later or two, but it actually came the in the mail the same day as FedEx delivered his MacBook Air.
If it arrives today (or even later), enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.