2013 Macbook Air users, are you using dropbox?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ccapman670, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ccapman670 macrumors regular

I'm currently in college and use dropbox a lot. It keeps all my school related stuff synced between my iMac, Macbook pro and is easily accessible using another computer if need be. I recently bought a 2013 MBA that I love and am getting 12-14 hour battery life on. I read a lot of threads from June indicating that people who installed dropbox were seeing massive hits to battery life, some getting only 2-3 hours on their new MBA's. I haven't been able to find anything more recent and was wondering if any of you are currently using dropbox and is it impacting your battery that much? I'm not sure if Mavericks fixed anything or if Dropbox released a corrected version.

Thanks for any help!

Chad

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I run DropBox and GoogleDrive. No problems here in terms of battery life. Avg Energy Impact = .27 of what's being used (for DropBox).

3. lina231 macrumors regular

I use dropbox a lot as well and have not seen any decline in my battery since using it. I stop it from starting when the computer starts up, and I close the app when I am not actively using it.

4. Collider macrumors regular

I keep DropBox running the whole time I'm on my Air -- I have it set to run on startup and I don't think I've ever closed it in all the time I've had the machine, and I've definitely not noticed any impact on the battery. Admittedly, I can't say that I've ever managed the 10+ hours that some users seem to get on theirs, but it's well within what I'd reasonably expect given my usage.

5. dean1012 macrumors regular

I didn't notice a battery drop under Mountain Lion on my 2013 MBA when using Dropbox. I think it's more likely the issue was from constant updates to files on Dropbox which caused the wifi to be used more often. I have infrequent updates to Dropbox files.

Since upgrading to Mavericks, I do have battery issues. I've noticed that sometimes when the MBA has no network connection Dropbox will cause kernel_task to use >= 100% CPU which results in battery draining quickly.

This can be resolved by pausing syncing when offline.

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    try Wuala, by LaCie - https://www.wuala.com - first 5gb is free, totally Mac compatible and very much easier than the others to use, imho.
    you can easily set a 'public' folder with no need for your readers to sign up for an account - unlike Drop Box and others - and you can also have password only folders.
    Drop Box is a bit frustrating to use, which is why I gave it the flick

7. stayley macrumors member

Started working at 8:30am today, got home at 9:30PM, using the MBA with maybe a total of 1h break, 38% left. Dropbox/WiFi on all the time.

8. ccapman670 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. Ended up installing it and am still seeing 12-15 hours of battery!

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FWIW: there was a version of Dropbox that was causing significant battery drain, but a subsequent update fixed it.

10. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Using both copy.com and Google Drive, work fine.

11. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

I can't comment specifically on the 2013 MBA, but on mine I see no degradation of battery life and I use Dropbox as my Documents folder (for all intents and purposes).