2013 MacBook Pro / 2017 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stussi, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Stussi macrumors newbie

Hello,

i currently own a 2013 15" MacBook Pro (Late 2013, Retina, 2,3Ghz i7, GT 750M) and am overall quite happy with the machine.
    As i am a photographer i do a lot of image editing (Capture One, only RAW files). My current MacBook is just fast enough, it has some little lags here and there but nothing that disturbs me. I use an external 27" Monitor at home to edit my photos.
    When i'm not closing the lid of the MacBook (so it has to drive 2 Displays), Capture One runs quite a bit slower it seems. (Capture One really loves OpenCL power, so the GPU is stressed quite a bit).
    It also gets pretty hot and the fans are spinning a lot. That starts to disturb me quite a bit!

Long story short: I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook. (probably the 15" 2,9GHz, Radeon 560 config)

I read the new redesigned MacBooks run cooler / the fans don't start spinning that fast. Is that true?

I also compared some Benchmarks, CPU wise its a little boost, though i couldn't find some graphic Benchmarks yet.. I think the Radeon 560 will be quite a bit faster than my current 750M.. Open CL wise.

Looking for some infos on the "little things" like how the fans are spinning and if they feel faster from those, who switched to the 2016 or 2017 MacBook.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat as you but I have an Early 2013 rMBP with the 650M so even less than the 750M and I honestly would say now is the time to buy the new machine. The 2016 MBP had too many issues with the keyboard being the biggest issue that I personally experienced and returned it. Now that they seemingly have made adjustments to the keyboard and other normal spec bumps, I would say now is the time to buy. CoffeeLake is already pushed back to 2018 so I'm guessing WWDC 2018 for a refresh but generally that's a software show so the true outline for a refresh is anyone's guess so buy now instead of waiting another year or year and a half.

3. jrasero macrumors regular

I really don't think the MBP lineup will see any kind of hardware upgrade. I think Apple has reached its ceiling in terms of laptop design for now. If you think Coffee Lake is the chip that pushes the Pro to the next level then wait, I personally agree with BuCkDoG and went with a Macbook Pro 13" non touch bar i7 16GB as a replacement to my Mid 2012 MBA i7 8GB. If my budget and computer needs were more the 15" touch bar w/ a dedicated Radeon would be killer for moderate content creation.

I guess the real question is should you upgrade monetary wise. Some would say like with a car run it down until the wheels fall off to get the best economic return, others like myself would say sell the car/laptop when it still has value helping you to upgrade.